ACC title on line tonight vs. State

Being the underdog has been the formula for success this year for the Duke wrestling team. Heading into one of the Blue Devils' biggest matches in history, nothing has changed.

Tonight, Duke (8-6, 3-0 in the ACC) takes on rival N.C. State (8-6, 3-1) at 7:30 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium. If the Blue Devils can pull off the victory, it will mark the first time a Duke team has ever won more than three matches in an ACC regular season.

A win would also put the Blue Devils on top of the conference for the first time in school history.

But the Wolfpack is a talented squad and has an advantage on paper, and Blue Devils head coach Clar Anderson is well aware of the challenge facing his squad--no matter how hot its play may have been of late.

"They match up real well with us," Anderson said. "Right now, they would be considered favored in a few weight classes."

However, Duke has the clear momentum advantage. N.C. State is currently in its longest losing streak of the year, having lost to Virginia by one point at home and having been demolished by Iowa State within the last 10 days. The Blue Devils, on the other hand, have won two in a row, with a victory over Virginia last Saturday in Durham and a convincing conquest of Campbell last Wednesday.

There is a spark in the air.

"My guys are very excited about the match," Anderson said. "It is the first time in history that we have done this well. They are really excited, and they will be up for the match. Right now N.C. State would be favored, but so were Virginia and North Carolina."

Leading the way for the Blue Devils are Christian Smith, Adam Benitez and Levi Craig. The trio is undefeated in its first three ACC matches.

The 125-pound Smith will face off in a pivotal match against his nemesis, Jeremy Hartrum, who has narrowly defeated Smith in their past two meetings, according to Anderson.

Despite the importance of the contest, junior Adam Benitez, who is 20-10 overall on the year in the 135-pound weight class, is not phased.

"I'm not really feeling the pressure," he said. "We can definitely beat this team."

But Anderson knows that his team has expectations, and he is trying his best to calm them down and keep them mentally prepared.

"These are Duke students," Anderson said. "They always put so much pressure on themselves. They know it's a big match for us as a program, and I'm trying to get them to release some of that pressure.

"I'm trying to play down the importance of it; either way were going to be in a three-way tie for first [in the conference]."

For inspiration tonight, Duke only has to look as far back as ten days ago. Against Virginia, the Blue Devils dug themselves a deep hole, facing a 14-0 hole at one point. But clutch pins by Frank Cornely and Tim Marcantonio led the comeback for Duke, as the Blue Devils won the match 21-17.

Although this match against the Wolfpack has great magnitude, the ultimate test for Duke will come later in the year.

"For wrestlers, the ultimate goal is to get to the national tournament," Anderson said. "They see this match as a stepping stone."

Share and discuss “ACC title on line tonight vs. State” on social media.