Grace's still luring customers

Parizade. George's. Bully's. Shooter's. These monomial hotspots dominate the social atmosphere at Duke. Lately, however, flocks of students have been spurning the traditional Durham club scene to spend their nights at Grace's, a spot of similar nomenclature but remarkably different atmosphere.

Located in Trent Drive Hall off Erwin Road, Grace's Café, which specializes in Chinese cuisine and American dishes, has recently become a student favorite. Despite losing about 100 neighbors and patrons when Trent was closed as a student dormitory last spring, business is booming, manager and owner, Jack Chao said. To meet the demand, Grace's has acquired additional tables and chairs, is in the process of installing new flooring and is even planning to add an entertainment system in the near future.

"We're up 20 percent [from last year]," Chao said. "On Fridays and Sundays, a lot of students from Central Campus come over. Groups of students [of] eight or 10 people come in all at once. It often looks real busy and crowded."

Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst professed similar sentiments. "On a Friday night, there are about 200 people there," Wulforst said.

To take advantage of the crowds, Wulforst and Chao are looking to maximize the Grace's experience. "We recently made renovations to the large conference room next to the cafe. Now it's programmable space with new carpet and new furniture. It's a really nice place now where people can meet," Wulforst said. "Arts and Sciences is doing major work on the other side of the dorm to make the place really come alive for next year."

Although the aesthetic improvements and additional seating will likely help ensure continued success, Grace's primary goal is to provide students with the best quality food and atmosphere, Chao said.

"A lot of Asian students come because of the authentic cuisine. We're trying to bring out a widescreen TV to show Chinese or Korean talk shows or movies [to allow Asian students] to stay in touch with their culture," he added. Chao believes that much of the popularity of Grace's is due to its commitment to Chinese culture and cuisine. Many students agree. "It's not quite mom's cooking, but it's the best on-campus substitute," said sophomore James Chiang, who patronizes Grace's at least two times a week.

Perhaps the most integral component of Grace's newfound popularity is the woman for whom the restaurant is named, Lih-mei Chao (nicknamed "Grace").

"I don't want to take any credit [for the restaurant's success]," said Jack Chao. "The key person--the one person who makes Grace's Café alive--is Grace."

He considers his sister-in-law's dedication to customers the secret to Grace's status as a student favorite.

"It's like family--[the] people at Grace's are awesome," senior Stephen Wu said. "Grace's is a good place to have a conversation with someone. You can let loose a little more in the way you hang out."

The combination of great food and welcoming people keeps most students coming back.

"The width of your topped-off belly will only be exceeded by the width of the cook's smiles," senior Ben Woodward said.

Share and discuss “Grace's still luring customers” on social media.