The independent news organization of Duke University

CrimeBriefs

Narcotics possibly found on hospital visitor

A quantity of what appeared to be a controlled substance was recovered from a visitor at Duke Hospital by nursing personnel at 5:34 a.m. Jan. 18. The controlled substance, which appears to be cocaine, was turned over to the Duke Police. The incident is under investigation.

Dorm room left unlocked, items taken

A student reported Jan. 11 thefts from her dorm room on East Campus. The student said that sometime between 1:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. Jan. 9 someone entered her unlocked dorm room while she was sleeping and took $55 in cash, a $50 gift card and a $120 textbook.

Year-end break allows textbook theft in Jarvis

A student reported Jan. 15 that sometime over the semester break, someone entered her locked Jarvis dorm room and took two $131 calculus textbooks. The student reported that one of the books was in a locked closet and the other was on a bookshelf in the room.

Employee's car damaged in H overflow lot

An employee reported Jan. 12 damage to his 2001 Ford truck while it was parked in the H overflow lot on Hillsborough Road. The employee parked his vehicle in the lot at 7:30 a.m. Jan. 7 and returned to the lot at 2 p.m. the same day. When he returned he found that the rearview mirror on the passenger side had been damaged, as well as a windguard on the passenger window. The damage is estimated at $200.

Eatery patron falls asleep, wakes up without phone

A student reported the theft of his $110 Verizon cellular telephone from Rick's Diner in McClendon Tower Jan. 17. The student said his cell phone was on the couch with him when he fell asleep at 5 a.m. Jan. 17. The phone was missing when he woke up at 6:30 a.m. Jan. 17.

Fine jewelry among items taken from exam room

A visitor reported the theft of her wallet from an exam room in the Duke Emergency Department Jan. 14. The visitor reported that the theft occurred sometime between 2:30 p.m. and 6:25 p.m. Jan. 14. The visitor also reported that her $1,200 diamond ring and a $300 gold bracelet were stolen at the same time. The wallet contained $90 in cash and various credit cards, valued at $100.

Overlooked theft discovered when credit card used

A visitor reported Jan. 8 a break-in to his vehicle, which was parked at Wallace Wade Stadium concourse. The visitor said he parked his vehicle on the concourse between noon and 1 p.m. Dec. 30. When he returned to his vehicle, he did not notice any sign of a break-in or anything missing. He found out several days later that one of his credit cards was missing from his wallet. An investigation into the fraudulent use of the credit card determined that it was stolen while he was parked on the concourse. The stolen credit card is valued at $10.

Returned wallet not as heavy with cash gone

A student reported the theft of $54 in cash from his wallet at the Wilson Recreation Center Jan. 10. The student said he lost his wallet in the gym between 12:20 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Jan. 10. The wallet was found and returned to the student minus the currency.

Edens window shattered, cause unknown

A student reported hearing glass shattering on the third floor of Edens 1-C Jan. 14. The student went out of his room and found that the $100 hallway window on the third floor had been shattered. There was no one in the area.

Vehicle tag taken from H lot

An employee reported the theft of her $35 N.C. license plate from the H parking lot on Hillsborough Road Jan. 14. The employee noticed her plate was missing at 8 a.m. Jan. 14. She is not sure when the plate was stolen.

Electronics stolen at Fuqua

A student reported the theft of a Toshiba laptop computer and an external modem from a study room in the Fuqua School Jan. 15. The student said he left the laptop in the room at noon Jan. 15 and it was gone when he returned at 12:45 p.m. the same day. The stolen laptop and modem are valued at $1,100.

Employee's locker raided

An employee reported Jan. 17 the theft of $400 in cash and her driver's license from her coat pocket in Duke Hospital. The employee said she put the cash and license in her coat before putting the coat in an unlocked locker at 11:55 p.m. Jan. 16. The employee said the money and license were missing when she retrieved her coat at 9 a.m. Jan. 17.

Basketball fan departs Cameron without jacket, keys, phone

A visitor reported the theft of his jacket, keys and cell phone from Cameron Indoor Stadium Jan. 11. The visitor said his property was next to his seat during the basketball game. He said the property was missing around 4:30 p.m. The jacket, keys and cell phone are valued at $120.

Amphitheater relieved of projector and laptop

An employee reported the theft of a laptop computer and an LCD projector from the amphitheater at Duke Hospital Jan. 16. The employee said the computer and projector were put in the amphitheater at around 1 a.m. Jan. 16 for use later in the day. They were discovered missing at 7 a.m. Jan. 16. The value of the missing equipment is unknown at this time.

Thievery yields six credit cards

An employee reported Jan. 14 the theft of her wallet and credit cards from her work area at the North Pavilion. The employee said she last saw her wallet at 11:15 a.m. Jan. 13 and it was missing at 5 p.m. Jan. 14. The wallet, $60 in cash and six credit cards are valued at $180.

Computer pinched from law school office

A student reported Jan. 16 that a suitcase containing an HP laptop computer was taken from an office in the Duke Law School. The student said he left the black twill and leather suitcase in the law school library sometime Jan. 9. The suitcase was found by housekeeping employees and placed in an office for safekeeping. When the student went to retrieve the suitcase, it was not in the office. The suitcase, contents and laptop are valued at $730.

Herndon Road clinic site of wallet theft

An employee reported the theft of her $85 black wallet from the Duke clinic on Herndon Road Jan. 16. The employee said she placed her wallet in plain view on her desk at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 16. The wallet was missing from the desk at noon Jan. 16. The wallet contained $125 in cash and various credit cards.

Insulin kit nabbed from visitor's car

A visitor reported Jan. 16 the theft of a $200 insulin kit from his vehicle while it was parked in Parking Garage I. The visitor said valet services parked the vehicle in the garage at 9:45 a.m. Jan. 14. The visitor left the garage at 12:30 a.m. Jan. 15/12:30 p.m. Jan. 14 and discovered the kit was missing while driving home.

Share and discuss “CrimeBriefs” on social media.