Blue Devils look to rebound against N.C. State

Three years ago, NC State women's basketball was ranked 19th in the nation. However, early into that 2000-2001 season, three of their four highest scoring players were sidelined with injuries.

Now, after countless hours of rehab and recovery, two of the three--Kaayla Chones and Terah James--are fifth-year seniors and trying to get the Wolfpack back into contention in the ACC.

When Chones and James both came to NC State in the fall of 1999, they immediately took leading roles on the team. Both players started all 29 games with Chones at center and James at point guard.

Chones was the team's second leading scorer averaging 11.4 points per game and second best rebounder with 7.9 a game as a freshman. James led the team with 3.9 assists per game, and was second on the team with 38 steals her rookie year.

Just as both players started every game together their freshman year, they sat out every game together the following season.

Chones was out the entire 2000-2001 season with a torn quadricep. James' injury woes began in 2000 with an ACL tear. After missing that entire season, she tore her other ACL to miss the 2001-2002 season. After a year on the bench, Chones struggled to get back into her spot on the team in the 2001-2002 season. However, when the season was over, Chones was in old form ranking in the top five in the ACC in scoring, rebounding, field goal percentage, and blocked shots.

James was rusty after the two entire seasons she spent on the bench.

"If you haven't played basketball in two years...it's going to take some time. Then, if you have to overcome two reconstructed knees, that takes a little time too, mentally," NC State head coach Kay Yow said prior to the 2002-2003 season. "Just getting over the injuries mentally and physically getting the sharpness to her skills."

James also showed her old skills by the end of the season, leading the team with 98 assists and scoring in double figures in 13 games.

After losing the first five games of this season, Chones and James have helped to lead the Pack to two straight ACC wins, at Florida State and at home against a tough Maryland team. Going into tonight's action at Cameron, the team stands at 10-10. Back together for their final year at NC State, neither Chones nor James seems to show traces of her injuries. Chones is an All-America and a State Farm Wade Trophy candidate, and James has regained the confidence lost sitting on the bench for two years.

"Last year was real nervous for me trying to get back into game mode and wondering if I was going to get injured again," James said at the beginning of this season. "This year I really have my quickness back. The players around me and the team we have is giving me a lot of confidence."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils look to rebound against N.C. State” on social media.