Another record falls

It seems like the holiday presents came late for Alana Beard this year.   

Just within the last two weeks, she has been named both MVP of the LMU Marina Beach Classic in Los Angeles, and ACC Women's Basketball Player of the Week after a 21-point showing in the 68-67 win over No. 1 Connecticut.  

All this in addition to becoming the all-time leading scorer in Duke history.   

Going into Monday's game against Florida State, Beard needed just four points to put her ahead of 1988 graduate Chris Moreland for the record. She got those points on a layup with 13:08 remaining in the first half, and then added 15 more to help secure a 79-66 win over the team's ACC opponent.  

"It is an honor to go down in the record books for a program that has had so many great players," Beard said. "It is an honor to be one of the top players."  

Moreland had set the previous scoring record at 2,232, in addition to setting other records and receiving numerous honors, when she played from 1985-1988. Moreland was Duke's first ACC Player of the Year in 1987 and the first to be named to the All-ACC first team in 1986. She was also a two-time Kodak District II All-American.   

Beard also broke Moreland's single season point total of 691 as a sophomore in 2002 when she scored 694 points. And last season, Beard demolished her own record with 813 points.   

In her first year at Duke, the Shreveport, La., scored 33 points in a game over Maryland--just enough to slide past Moreland's 31, her freshman record set in a 1985 contest against UNC Wilmington.  

While Beard's offensive achievements are extensive, her defense is even better, according to head coach Gail Goestenkors.  

"The fact that she is our career-leading scorer is the tip of the iceberg," Goestenkors said. "She is the best defensive player we have ever had in the history of our program."  

Goestenkors' compliments are backed up by the record book. Like on the offensive side, Beard's name is plastered all over the defensive records. She owns the all-time steals mark with 365, and the top three places in season steal totals with 114 as a sophomore, 106 as a freshman, and 104 as a junior.   

Despite all of Beard's accomplishments, she is looking at the season day by day. The Blue Devils still have tough matchups remaining, including Sunday's game against No. 13 UNC, and a showdown with No. 5 Tennessee on January 24th.  

"There is no time for celebration," Beard said. "All of that will come at the end of the season"  

By the end of the season, Beard could be adding more achievements to her career, including one that has never been done by a Duke women's basketball player--leading her team to a national championship.

Share and discuss “Another record falls” on social media.