BREAKING NEWS: THE BRODHEAD FILE

PERSONAL

Name: Richard H. Brodhead

Age: 56

Current Titles: Dean of Yale College and the A. Bartlett Giamatti Professor of English at Yale University

Family: Cynthia, wife of 33 years, attorney; Daniel, son, Yale Class of 2001

Interests: Spending time with family or friends, watching intercollegiate athletics, traveling and the outdoors

EDUCATION

• Bachelor's degree summa cum laude in English, Yale, 1968

• Master's degree in English, Yale, 1970

• Doctoral degree in English, Yale, 1972

SCHOLARSHIP

• Associate Professor of English, Yale, 1972

• Professor of English, Yale, 1985

• Bird White Housum Professor of English, Yale, 1990

• A. Bartlett Giamatti Professor of English, Yale, 1995

• Chair of English Department, Yale, 1988-1993

• Visiting professor, Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris, 1989 and 1991

• Faculty member, Yale-New Haven Teachers' Institute

• Chair, external review committee of Duke's English department, 1991

PUBLICATIONS & RESEARCH

• Author or editor of more than a dozen books on Melville, Hawthorne, Stowe, Alcott, Henry James, Faulkner, Richard Wright and Flannery O'Connor.

• Most recent books: Cultures of Letters: Scenes of Reading and Writing in Nineteenth-Century America and an edition of The Journals of Charles W. Chesnutt, the only journal of an African-American writer to have survived from the 19th century--one of two books on Chesnutt published by Duke University Press.

• Current work, focusing on the American prophetic tradition, studies the whole array of figures who have identified or been afflicted with the prophetic syndrome, from literary authors (Whitman, Melville, O'Connor) to founders of organized religions (Mother Ann Lee, Joseph Smith, Elijah Muhammad) to leaders of utopian communities and insurgent social movements (John Humphrey Noyes, Nat Turner, John Brown, Martin Luther King).

• Served on the editorial boards of several publications in the humanities, among them "American Literary History" and "Proceedings of the Modern Language Association."

HONORS & FELLOWSHIPS

• Winner of Guggenheim, Woodrow Wilson, Danforth and Morse fellowships.

• Presidential appointment in 2002 to the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.

• First Yale graduate in more than two decades to be named to the deanship, which he has held longer than all but two others in Yale's 302-year history.

Share and discuss “BREAKING NEWS: THE BRODHEAD FILE” on social media.