Frontcourt headlines preseason finale

Luol Deng isn't the only freshman on campus who can play.

Brittany Hunter scored 24 points, snatched 13 rebounds and led Duke to a comfortable 88-72 exhibition victory over EV-1 (Everyone's Internet).

With stellar footwork and great offensive positioning, Hunter made herself a scoring threat. She also created scoring chances by running the floor and crashing the offensive boards.

"We've always been such a perimeter team that we haven't looked to the low post," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "So that's a transition for us that we're in the process of making, where the guards are really aware of where Brittany is."

The game was won on the offensive glass. The front court trio of Hunter, Monique Currie and Iciss Tillis, who all tallied double-doubles in points and rebounds, were the catalysts. They combined to rip down 19 out of Duke's 30 offensive rebounds, while EV-1 grabbed only 14.

"I was particularly pleased with our rebounding effort on the offensive glass," Goestenkors said. "I thought we were just relentless, and that's what we want to be known for."

Despite Duke's dominance in the paint, the EV-1 squad hung tough early. Demya Walker, who totalled 15 points and 11 boards, kept her team within four points at the end of the first half, with the score 47-43. But the Blue Devils did not play to their potential in the opening half, committing 10 turnovers while lacking focus and intensity, according to Goestenkors.

But Alana Beard led Duke on a game-sealing 21-2 run in the middle of the second half. Last year's national player of the year had 10 points and six assists in the second half alone. Most of her production came in transition, highlighted by a no-look bounce pass between two EV-1 defenders to sophomore Jessica Foley for a layup.

Currie, who missed last season with a torn ACL, ran the floor well and had 10 points and 10 rebounds. The athletic forward showed promise of returning to her freshman form, when she earned second team All-ACC honors.

But the spotlight belonged to Hunter, who is attempting to adapt to the college game.

"I had to work hard to get where I was in high school," Hunter said. "I've just got to stay focused and keep working hard."

Goestenkors was not the only coach impressed with Hunter's play. EV-1 head coach Kevin Cook, who also is an assistant for the WNBA's Houston Comets, was in awe.

"That Hunter kid, golly," Cook said, lost for words. "Holy moly. All I can say is, watch out in conference play. She is something special. We didn't have an answer."

Cook was equally amazed with the overall talent of the Duke squad.

"If I were picking right now," Cook said. "I'd pick them to win the whole ball of wax."

Share and discuss “Frontcourt headlines preseason finale” on social media.