McRoberts set to visit campus this weekend

Just a week after nabbing top recruit Greg Paulus, Coach Krzyzewski is at it again.

Josh McRoberts, a top class of 2005 forward, will be visiting the Gothic Wonderland with his family this weekend. The Carmel, In., native is considering Duke, Indiana, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Kansas and Arizona.

"I think that [at all those schools] there could possibly be a good situation," McRoberts said in a telephone interview with The Chronicle Wednesday night. "Overall, I'd say nothing really sticks out about a particular school."

McRoberts, however, was quick to dispel rumors that he had committed to Indiana over the summer. "I had no idea about [committing to Indiana]" the power forward said, laughing. "Somebody had it on the radio here, but that definitely never happened."

Even so, the talented hoosier hinted that the Blue Devils were at the top of his short list.

"If I had a leader, it would be Duke," McRoberts said, adding that he had visited all the colleges on his list except Kansas and Arizona. He also said that he had attended basketball camp at Duke this past summer and had maintained contact with the Duke coaching staff.

"[Duke's coaching staff] got to work with me individually at camp," he said. "It's been good to get to know the coaches a little better.... Just hearing from someone different [than] from my high school or AAU coach is good."

The versatile forward also got an opportunity to talk with fellow camper and class of 2004 Duke commitment DeMarcus Nelson, though he added that they did not have enough time to develop a strong friendship.

McRoberts also had glowing praise for Krzyzewski, calling him "one of the best coaches anywhere."

Last season McRoberts averaged 16 points and 11 rebounds per game while leading his Carmel High School team to a 14-8 record. Standing 6-foot-9, McRoberts is a versatile and athletic player who can play both forward positions.

He is considered to be a consensus top-20 recruit in the class of 2005.

At just under 220 pounds, however, McRoberts is admittedly a little thin for his height. However, he hopes to bulk up significantly before heading to college, noting that he had been weightlifting in order to add muscle mass.

"I think a lot of it is just coming with me getting older and bigger," McRoberts said.

Although McRoberts said that he wanted to make his college decision before the beginning of his senior season, he was unsure when he would make a college commitment.

"I'm not sure [when I'm going to commit]," McRoberts said. "As soon as the situation's right and [my family and I] feel comfortable...Right now I'm just going to take my time and see what happens."

And even though McRoberts appears to be a Duke lean, he was quick to add that his recruitment was still very wide open. "No one is really too far ahead," McRoberts said.

Please stay tuned to The Chronicle Online for the latest on McRoberts' visit.

Share and discuss “McRoberts set to visit campus this weekend” on social media.