Greek leaders reinstate Order of Omega honor society

Greek life has gone hand-in-hand with social activities. Now, the re-establishment at Duke of the Order of Omega, a national honor fraternity for greek students, will enable greek members to be recognized in the academic and community service arenas as well.

The Order of Omega originally came to Duke in 1988 but soon died out because it ranked low on the priority list of the National Panhellenic Council and the Interfraternity Council, said Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president of student affairs.

Over the last academic year, however, greek officials pushed to reinstate the Order of Omega in an attempt to provide recognition for exceptional achievements by individual greek students.

Todd Adams, director of the Office of Greek and Sorority Life, said membership would be very exclusive - only three percent of the over 2,000 greek students will be initiated each year. Adams explained that prerequisites for consideration include junior or senior status, a GPA above the greek average, enrollment at Duke for a full academic year and excellent standing within a greek organization.

"This is a way to look at the greek community as a whole and recognize their many achievements," Adams said. He added that the Order of Omega will seek to initiate the "cream of the crop" in the greek community.

This past year's 13 initiates were selected on the basis of nominations at the inaugural greek award ceremony. The group was pared down to include only those with outstanding academic achievements and involvement in extracurricular activities. Over half of the new initiates graduated this May, leaving only five undergraduates to decide the direction the Order of Omega will take.

Elliot Smith, a senior in Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, said he has "no idea" what the organization's goals will be but said he intends to be an active member come fall semester. Regardless of the specific objectives of the honor fraternity, he said, "fraternity and sorority members will want to be a part of [it]."

Due to the small size of the organization, there will be a second initiation class this fall, rather than the usual one per year.

The Order of Omega will also consist of honorary faculty members to foster faculty-student relations, Adams said. Wasiolek was initiated as an honorary faculty member when the Order of Omega first came to Duke in 1988.

"I think it can only make the greek experience better," Wasiolek said.

Nicole Manley, program coordinator for student life, is a member of the order, as she was initiated as an undergraduate at the University of Virginia. She explained that the reinstitution of the organization was not carried out to combat any specific perception of greeks at Duke.

"[The Order of Omega] is more of a way to recognize the greek students' accomplishments. If a by-product of this organization is an improved view of the greek system, that's great. It's hard for me to say, as I see greek students as accomplished anyway," Adams added.

However, Kara Goldman, a senior in Delta Delta Delta sorority, said the Order of Omega will help the way the administration views greeks at Duke. "Currently we're seen as a social organization," Goldman said. "This will help the administration and students see the greek community as a giving community as well."

Share and discuss “Greek leaders reinstate Order of Omega honor society” on social media.