The independent news organization of Duke University

No. 24 rowing places boat in 2nd at Jessop-Whittier

The 24th-ranked women's crew team raced to a second place finish at the Jessop-Whittier Cup Petite Final in San Diego this weekend. The Duke Varsity Eight participated in this 14-team invitation-only event after last year's committee won the Cal Cup at the 2002 San Diego Crew Classic.

A team consisting of Jessi Batzell, Amelia Booth, Katie Lakin, Joanna Hingle, Natalie Zervas, Mae Joyce Gay, Abby Hawkins, Kim Bailey, and Missy Buckmiller remained in a heated battle with Tennessee until the final 500m, when the Volunteers edged out Duke by a mere 0.22 seconds. Duke's final time for Sunday's race was 6:46.89. The Blue Devils beat Clemson by about five seconds.

Duke found itself in fourth place early in the contest with a split time of 1:43.09 after the first leg of the 2000m race. It then gained momentum in the second leg when it raced to a time of 1:40.02, which put the team in third place, behind Tennessee and Minnesota. The Blue Devils then gained the lead in the third 500m leg when they recorded a split-time of 1:43.04, which was just 0.2 seconds ahead of Tennessee. They were unable to maintain the lead, however, and the Volunteers sneaked away with the very close victory.

Share and discuss “No. 24 rowing places boat in 2nd at Jessop-Whittier” on social media.