Memorial service set for today

A memorial service for Ronie-Richele Garcia-Johnson, an assistant professor of environmental policy who died last week after a five-month battle with cancer, will take place in the Chapel at 11 a.m. today. A reception at the Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences will immediately follow the service. Garcia-Johnson was 34.

Her colleagues described her as bright and passionate. She helped create the multidisciplinary Duke Center for Environmental Solutions and was on her junior sabbatical leave - working on her second book and a number of other projects - at the time of her death.

Friends and colleagues of Garcia-Johnson are planning a memory book - including cards, photographs and messages - to give to the family. Those interested in contributing are invited to write their favorite memories on a card and send it to Ronie Garcia-Johnson Memory Book, c/o Marie Lynn Miranda, Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, Box 90328, Durham, N.C. 27708.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Ronie-Richele Garcia-Johnson Melanoma Education Fund. Checks should be made payable to the Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, c/o Marie Lynn Miranda, Box 90328, Durham, N.C. 27708.

Share and discuss “Memorial service set for today” on social media.