CRIME BRIEFS

$8,000 motorcycle stolen

An employee reported that between 8 a.m. March 24 and 2 p.m. April 1, someone stole his $8,000 1996 red Honda VFI motorcycle, N.C. license plate #918614, vin number-JH2RC361XTM600187. The motorcycle was stolen from the rear of the Engineering Building.

Two charged with harassment

A student reported April 3 and again April 5 that she received harassing e-mails and phone calls and was concerned for her safety. The suspects were identified, and on April 5, Aaron David Glaspie, a 21-year-old senior, of 408 South Buchanan Blvd., was charged with cyberstalking. Twenty-four-year-old William Lowell "B.J." Hill, a former starter on the Duke football team, also of 408 South Buchanan Blvd., was charged with making harassing phone calls. They were given a June 12 court date. They could not be reached for comment.

ALE cites 2 students

At 10:58 p.m. April 3, an Alcohol Law Enforcement officer stopped a vehicle in the parking lot near the Bivins Building. Matthew Southard, a 22-year-old senior, was cited for purchasing alcohol for someone underage. Stavros Pavlides, an 18-year-old freshman, was cited for underage possession. They could not be reached for comment.

Police arrest wanted man

At 5:23 a.m. April 5, a Duke University Police Department officer located a man who matched a description given earlier in reference to a man standing at the rear stairwell of Aycock Dormitory. He was lying on the bench at the bus stop near Gilbert Addoms Dormitory. Further investigation revealed that the Durham Police Department had a warrant for him for felonious breaking and entering and felonious larceny. Jeffrey Marshall Ruffin, 43, of 830 Mangum St., was arrested and placed under a secured bond of $3,500. He could not be reached for comment.

Laptop stolen

An employee reported that between 3 and 5:30 p.m. April 4, someone entered an unsecured room on the second floor of the Murray Building and stole a $3,000 Apple/G4 laptop computer.

Man charged with larceny

A Duke officer responded to a call at 6:26 p.m. April 2, in reference to a subject at Trinity Cafe who did not pay for his meal. Subsequent investigation resulted in Steven Wallace Jr., 22, of 1109 Liberty St., being charged with trespassing and larceny. His bond was placed at $600 and he was given a May 7 court date. He could not be reached for comment.

Air conditioning damaged

An employee reported April 3 that between October 2002 and March 2003, the air conditioning units located on the roof of the Biological Sciences Building had sustained $600 in damage. The damaged appeared to have been caused by someone who stood or jumped on the three units.

$400 visor taken

A student reported that between March 13 and March 14, someone stole a $400 Handspring visor from the dermatology workroom in the Duke Clinic.

Belongings stolen

A student reported that between 8 and 9 p.m. April 2, he was playing soccer on the soccer field on East Campus, and that, when he was done playing, he noticed that his $20 red Nike soccer bag, $150 Sprint cellular phone, $30 wallet, credit cards, keys and $100 brown Birkenstock sandals had been stolen.

Service permit nabbed

An employee reported that between noon April 3 and noon April 4, someone entered a Duke vehicle parked at the Facilities Management Department, at 1114 1/2 Buchanan Blvd., and stole a $250 service vehicle parking permit.

Window broken

An employee reported that between 2 and 5 p.m. April 3, while her vehicle was parked at 705 Broad St., someone broke out the $180 driver's side window.

Grace's door broken

A student reported that around 7 p.m. April 3, she noticed that the Trent Drive Hall rear glass door to Grace's Cafe had been broken. Damage was estimated at $100.

Purse pilfered

A visitor reported that around 3:30 p.m. April 3, she left her purse on a bench between the front entry doors to the Duke Clinic. When she returned, her $40 black shoulder bag, containing less than $50 in cash, a checkbook, credit cards, a Nokia cellular phone and a driver's license was missing.

Fire extinguishers discharged

Duke police responded to a fire alarm in Pegram Dormitory at 7:12 p.m. April 5. Upon arrival it was discovered that someone had discharged a fire extinguisher, which had then activated a smoke detector on the second floor.

A student reported that between March 29 and March 30, someone discharged a fire extinguisher on the third floor hallway of House FF1.

It costs $55 to service an extinguisher.

Door damaged

A Duke officer responded to the West-Edens Link basement April 5, in reference to an unsecured door, and found $100 in damage to the lock.

Cash filched

An employee reported that between 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. April 3, someone entered a nurses' lounge at 5300 Duke Hospital North and stole $20 cash from her purse.

Crime briefs are compiled from Duke University Police Department reports. Anyone with knowledge about those responsible for these or other crimes at the University can contact Lt. Davis Trimmer at 684-4713 or Durham CrimeStoppers at 683-1200.

Share and discuss “CRIME BRIEFS” on social media.