UNIVERSITY BRIEFS

Sanford receives $1 million

The Sanford Institute of Public Policy will receive $1 million from the Coca-Cola Foundation to fund the Multimedia and Instructional Technology Center in Sanford's new building. The gift honors former Duke trustee and Coca-Cola board member Susan Bennett King, who also serves on the Sanford Institute's board of visitors.

Douglas Daft, chairman and chief executive officer of the Coca-Cola Company, announced the gift March 18 at the Sanford Institute.

Luneberg to compete in Miss USA 2003 Monday

Senior Kristen Luneberg will represent North Carolina in the Miss USA 2003 competition in San Antonio, Texas, in an event that will be televised live at 9 p.m. tonight on NBC.

Luneberg--former president of Delta Delta Delta sorority and former acting chief executive officer for Devil's Delivery Service--was the first Duke student to be crowned Miss North Carolina last fall.

The Miss USA national pageant consists of a swimsuit competition, an evening gown competition and an interview. Each portion of the competition is weighted equally in determining the winner. Contestants hail from all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Luneberg fans can help her win a major scholarship by logging onto www.missusa.com and voting for Luneberg in the Most Photogenic online competition. Voting lasts until 10 p.m. tonight, and fans can only vote once per e-mail account.

Keohane addresses Duke's Christian ties

At last Thursday's Academic Council meeting, President Nan Keohane responded to a question posed by an anonymous faculty member about Christian ties suggested by a passage in the University bylaws. She noted that the document in question was not the University's operational mission statement, and that the University has the right and authority to act independently of the church. However, she said it was unnecessary to amend the passage because it has "important symbolic legitimacy" and has not affected her decision-making at any time.

Rivers to deliver MLK lecture

Rev. Eugene Rivers, a Boston-area pastor who has created programs to combat urban violence, drugs and poverty, will be the featured speaker of the Divinity School's 2003 Martin Luther King, Jr. Lectures April 1 and 2. A pastor of the Azusa Christian Community in Dorchester, Mass., Rivers has been credited with helping to reduce homicides and other violent crimes in Boston.

Referred to as the "savior of the streets" in a 1998 Newsweek cover story, Rivers co-founded an organization that brought together local churches and police to combat youth violence. He is now co-chair of the National Ten Point Leadership Foundation, which is working to repeat those efforts in 40 of America's worst inner-city neighborhoods.

Rivers will present the keynote King lecture at 2:30 p.m. April 1 in the York Chapel. Rivers will preach at two worship services April 2: a 10 a.m. service in York Chapel and a 7 p.m. service at Fisher Memorial United Holy Church of America, 420 East Piedmont Ave. in Durham. The evening worship service will be preceded by a 5 p.m. community dinner at Fisher Memorial.

The lecture and related worship services are free and the public is invited.

Share and discuss “UNIVERSITY BRIEFS” on social media.