Officials announce Last Day bands

The last album of one group was hailed as the year's best by Rolling Stone magazine; the other's catchy hits lit up the pop charts in the 1990s.

The bands Wilco and Better Than Ezra will co-headline the annual Last Day of Classes concert April 23, Campus Council members announced this week, in an all-day event that for the first time will feature at least three other opening bands on a side stage on Main West Quadrangle.

The co-headliners were the selection committee's first choices, said organizers Brian Goldfarb and Bryan Unkeless.

"We're really excited, especially considering the budget we had this year, to get such great bands," said Unkeless, a senior.

Wilco, an up-and-coming alternative country group, has been a critical darling over the past few years, and Better Than Ezra during the past decade has maintained its reputation as a fun rock band best known for its radio-friendly singles, such as "Extra Ordinary" and "Desperately Wanting."

"One of the most difficult things is to try to please everyone at the same time and try to get as large a cross-section of musical tastes as possible. We got a lot of comments and feedback from the community," said Goldfarb, a senior. "But it's not just about the bands. It's about being out there, playing volleyball or drinking a beer or relaxing in the sun and listening to good, fun music with your friends."

Before the headline groups take the main stage at 7 p.m., students celebrating the end of classes will be able to enjoy several other bands in a festival-type atmosphere. Organizers have already booked Kenin, a band featuring recent Duke alumni, and the Spencer Aycock Band from Chapel Hill, and a third might be added. Men's basketball player and senior Andre Buckner's rap group will play on the side stage between the two co-headliners, whose order has yet to be determined.

"We've been looking for a couple years to change [the Last Day of Classes] and expand it into a full day of music," said Campus Council President Andrew Nurkin. "Hopefully the weather will be nice and everyone will be out on the quad."

In case of rain, the show will be moved into Page Auditorium, as it was two years ago when Guster and Run D.M.C. appeared at Duke and three years ago when the Indigo Girls descended upon the University. Last year, Mother Nature cooperated and The Roots rocked the main quad on a beautiful night.

Also for the first time, the event will serve as a charity event, benefiting the Child Life Fund out of the Duke Children's Hospital.

Students can donate FLEX or cash to the charity, and organizers are also hoping to allow donations on food points.

Over the past several years, funding for the show has been cut considerably, from a high of about $80,000 four years ago, Nurkin said.

"There has been some feeling among people on the committee and our advisers that spending $80,000 on a single concert is a bit excessive, especially because a significant portion of that is going to free T-shirts."

Of the $50,000 budget this year, some $14,000 will be spent on the free garbs.

Share and discuss “Officials announce Last Day bands” on social media.