Local protesters rally at Brightleaf

For weeks now, Brightleaf Square has been the focal point of Durham opposition to potential war in Iraq. Now that war has become an actuality, the face of protest in Brightleaf has become a 24-7 constancy.

While there have been protests in the past at Brightleaf, including a 1,000-strong candlelight vigil last Sunday, the commencement of bombing has now started a constant vigil presence manned by residents of the local community, steadfast in their opposition to the war.

Protesters have been at Brightleaf since 10 p.m. Wednesday. At times the number has swelled into the hundreds or dwindled to six or seven, but for the most part around 20 are consistently at hand. The group has taken stand around the busy intersection, flashing signs to passing cars and shouting slogans for peace.

Together, they comprise a diverse group: business men in suits, high school students, members of the Duke community, diehard antiwar proponents draped in tie-dye and parents with their children at hand, all lending their time to the antiwar cause.

The reasons for protest are just as diverse.

Jessica Tomkovick, Trinity '00, held up signs citing the supposed wasteful billions spent on the U.S. war machine. "We're slashing social budgets [to pay for the war]," she said.

Many high school students were in attendance as well. Some bore looks of curious inquiry, and others stood holding signs or chatting tentatively with their friends.

Kaitlin Friedman, a student at the Carolina Friends school in Durham, was able to come because her school excused absences for political activism.

"I came out because I'm in support of peace at all costs," she said. "I think we're just trying to raise awareness and it's easier to be working together for peace."

She also said that the political discussion in her school had been swayed predominantly in the antiwar direction by her teachers, who encouraged students to protest and even took buses of students out to Brightleaf.

Diane Cattoti, an active antiwar activist and parent of three, brought her children out to hold candles and signs on the sidewalk.

"It's important for me that my children understand the complexities of the world," she said. "I hope that they can also see the difference between the truth and what they're told by their school and the media."

Her eight-year-old daughter, Claire, added, "[We're here] because we think of peace."

Share and discuss “Local protesters rally at Brightleaf” on social media.