Letter: Show troops support; don't walk out after war begins

The United States of America is a nation in which people have a special right to speak out about their beliefs. This is a great freedom that each of us is entitled to. Although I disagree with those who may choose to stage a walk out, I do believe they have the right to do so. However, their timing is terribly wrong. The time for debate, protest and walkouts is before the war begins, not after. Once war has begun, it is the patriotic duty of all Americans to be supportive of our men and women who are putting their lives on the line. Even those in Congress who do not approve of the decision to go to war, including Senator Tom Daschle, D - S.D., have said that once war begins, they will fully support the armed forces and do everything they can to ensure victory.

While those who plan to walk out have a right to make their point, they also have a responsibility to support those who protect the freedoms that allow them to make that very point. I would ask those who plan to walkout to reconsider. These are serious times, and the citizens of the United States must show support for their troops. Walking out after war has begun is certainly not a show a support, and not what our troops deserve.

Will Connolly

Trinity '05

Share and discuss “Letter: Show troops support; don't walk out after war begins” on social media.