Duke heightens safety measures

University officials stepped up security measures Wednesday as the United States prepared to enter war with Iraq.

In a letter to the Duke community, Executive Vice President Tallman Trask detailed specific areas of heightened security on campus.

"We do not expect the outbreak of war to affect classes, research, patient care or other basic operations," Trask wrote. "However, at least during the first few days, or if the national alert status rises to 'red,' we will increase our campus security."

The Duke University Police Department will limit vehicular access to parts of campus, as well as step up security at the Allen Building, parts of the Duke University Hospital and other sensitive locations.

"There will be checkpoints put on some of the roads to limit vehicular access to the core of the campus," said David Jarmul, associate vice president for news and communications. "Vehicular access will be limited to those with the proper credentials."

He explained that a family of a prospective student or even a visiting faculty member will be prohibited from driving up Chapel Drive toward the Allen Building-Chapel-Main Quadrangle area. Security personnel at a Chapel Drive checkpoint will direct those visitors to park at other areas of campus.

Community members are encouraged to have their DukeCards with them, as police officers - an increased number of whom will be patrolling campus - may ask for identification. Further, entering most buildings after 5 p.m. and on the weekends will require DukeCard access.

John Diaz, director of the DukeCard Office, said he will meet with Trask today to discuss which campus buildings will be affected. Many academic buildings already require DukeCard access past 5 p.m., and all dormitories already require DukeCards for entry 24 hours a day.

"We're staffed 24 hours. If they call us at nine o'clock tonight and tell us to lock down the campus, we'll do it," Diaz said Wednesday afternoon. He added that his office will continue to make sure it is "extra careful" to check identifications before giving out DukeCards, as it has striven to do in the past few years.

Trask said the University has received no direct threats, but that safety remains a top priority.

"Events may unfold rapidly," he wrote. "We will use e-mail and other means to keep you informed, as needed. Duke's Web site (www.duke.edu) will include special links for students and others, and will be updated regularly. You also can reach a recorded status message at 684-INFO."

Jarmul said the plan will initially be in effect for the first 48 hours after the war begins, and that the University will continually reassess the situation. He added that the administration hopes any protests or demonstrations for or against the war are conducted appropriately.

"The University certainly respects the free speech rights of students and faculty who may be against the war or for the war, but we expect any protests to be in line with University regulations and be done with respect for the larger community," Jarmul said.

At Raleigh-Durham International Airport, authorities began conducting random inspections of vehicles approaching the airport terminals. The I-70/Lumley Road entrance was closed to through traffic, and all cars were advised to access the airport via Aviation Parkway or Airport Boulevard.

Officials did not anticipate delays for travelers, but they recommended passengers arrive at the airport two hours before their flight departs to allow ample time for parking, check-in and security checkpoint screening.

"The inspections are an additional layer of security in response to the Homeland Security threat level that has been raised," RDU's website said.

Share and discuss “Duke heightens safety measures” on social media.