DSG to consider resolution on Iraq

Minutes before Saddam Hussein's 48-hour deadline will draw to a close tonight, Duke Student Government legislators will consider a resolution that urges Duke faculty members and administrators to oppose a United States attack on Iraq.

DSG President Joshua Jean-Baptiste said Tuesday, however, that he does not support the resolution as he feels the Legislature should not take a stance on such national political issues. He predicted it would not pass.

"I do not think it's in DSG's jurisdiction to deal with this issue," he said. "What I do support is different student groups--whether they are pro-war or anti-war--dealing with this issue. I will support these groups financially through the [Student Organization Finance Committee], through the flyering policy and through ensuring the safety of students on campus if they're protesting."

Jean-Baptiste has the power to veto the resolution, but said he would "cross that bridge when we get to it."

The resolution, authored by representatives Bridget Newman and Stacey Yee, states the "current level of mistrust, fear and anger that pervades the global community directly affects the academic, cultural and social climate at Duke." It further argues a preemptive unilateral strike against Iraq will further intensify the situation.

"We feel like for DSG to make a statement on something that is really important for the country, the world and also Duke students is important for the legitimacy of Duke Student Government," said Bridge Newman, a sophomore and also a Chronicle columnist. "It's important for academic institutions to take a stance on this."

Newman said she has been working with other student groups[[such as the Arab Students Association and Peace at Duke--on the resolution and hopes students attend the 7 p.m. meeting tonight in room 04 of the Sanford Institute of Public Policy to voice their support during the public forum.

The resolution argues that students studying abroad must now consider the public sentiment of the nation they plan to visit before ultimately deciding where to study.

Further, international students from designated countries who attend Duke must now undergo special registration processes and may have to matriculate in the spring due to heightened visa restrictions.

"We're hoping that this would continue the debate even as war appears inevitable. There is this belief that there is a division between Duke issues and international issues, but that division really doesn't exist. Over half of Duke students study abroad, and we live in an international community," Newman said. "If Duke students are now going to be worried about saying they're from the U.S., that's something we need to address."

This is not the first time DSG has attempted to tackle such a controversial, external issue.

In fall 2000, then-president Jordan Bazinsky, Trinity '01, led a resolution asking the Chapel to allow same-sex unions. The Legislature also passed a resolution condemning the United States' treatment of alleged spy Wen Ho Lee. That spring, DSG attempted to ratify a proposal to coordinate support for students who wanted to comply with a boycott by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People when South Carolina raised a Confederate flag above its capital building.

Several years ago, however, the Duke Conservative Union began asking DSG executive candidates seeking its endorsement to sign a pledge not to pursue such resolutions.

"This is precisely what we hope Duke Student Government doesn't waste its time doing," said DCU President Bill English, a senior and also a Chronicle columnist. "I'm amazed that this could even be a priority for the Duke Student Government. There are plenty of things on Duke's campus that need to be taken care of. Pontificating on world issues is not at all what our legislators are elected to do and not what their position requires of them."

English said Jean-Baptiste, who signed DCU's pledge and received the group's endorsement, should veto the measure if it passes. He added the resolution's attempt to "localize" the impact of the war is inappropriate.

"All big international issues can be given a Duke spin. Environmental issues impact everyone. Are we going to see resolutions on global warming?" he said.

Share and discuss “DSG to consider resolution on Iraq” on social media.