CRIME BRIEFS

Students charged after concert

At 11:10 p.m. March 19, during the George Clinton concert in Page Auditorium, a group of concert goers were asked to move away from a railing at the front for safety reasons. An individual, with a strong odor of alcohol, was ignoring this request, and had to be momentarily removed from the concert in order to explain the reason for the request. His sister, who appeared to be intoxicated--she was unable to maintain her balance--observed him being momentarily taken from the concert.

Police reported that she became irate and belligerent toward the officer. The officer asked her to step away, but she would not comply. She attempted to swing her fist at the officer, resulting in her shoving him in the chest. When the brother observed his sister being escorted from the building, he attempted to interfere.

Jenna Marie Turner, a 21-year-old senior, of 206 Oregon St., was charged with simple assault on an officer, resist, delay and obstruct and being drunk and disruptive. She was given an April 23 court date. She could not be reached for comment.

Sean Charles Turner, a 23-year-old senior, of House Z, room 101, was charged with resist, delay and obstruct and trespassing. He was instructed several times to leave police headquarters. He left but returned, leading to the trespass charge. He was given an April 15 court date. He could not be reached for comment.

Laptop stolen

A student reported that at 12:57 p.m. March 18, he left his bag in the School of Law library; it contained his $3,200 IBM Thinkpad laptop computer and $200 Ethernet card. When he returned, he found his property missing.

Laptop taken

Someone entered a student's unsecured room in Edens 3B between noon and 6:33 p.m. March 22, and stole her $1,500 Dell Inspirion laptop computer, $20 blue Dell laptop bag and $15 Sony Discman.

Laptop filched

Someone entered the First Union Plaza, Suite 910, West Main Street, sometime between 3:30 and 6:15 p.m. March 20, and stole an unprotected $1,500 IBM Thinkpad laptop computer.

Durham resident trespassed

At 4:24 p.m. March 18, Mischa Godwin Mann, 34, of 5201 Oldwell St., was identified on the sidewalk off Fulton Street at Parking Garage II, harassing people. He was charged with trespassing and given an April 16 court date.

Spray paint causes $550 in damage

Duke officers discovered March 22 that someone had vandalized the East Campus bus stop by spray painting the words, "No War" and "Bus Stop" in red paint on the brick walkway, and in the drive at the bus stop the words, "No War." It is believed that the vandalism took place between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. March 22. Damage is estimated at $350.

At 2:23 p.m. March 21, a Duke officer responded to the Blue Zone parking lot in reference to damaged property. Upon arrival, he observed the information kiosk spray painted in white with the phrases "Stop Bush, Stop War and Stop the Insanity." On the recycle center was the phrase "Stop Bush." Damage was estimated at $200.

Vehicle entered, items stolen

A student reported that between 11:30 p.m. March 21 and 12:28 p.m. March 22, while her vehicle was parked at 206 Oregon St., someone broke out a $150 window. Stolen items consisted of a $210 Sony CDXMP30 CD/radio, $50 Jansport backpack, $35 leather organizer and $100 Sony Discman portable CD player. $50 in damage was also done to the dashboard.

Window broken

An employee reported that between 9:30 a.m. and 6:52 p.m. March 21, while her vehicle was parked on Hillsborough Road at the Best Products building site, someone broke out the $500 back window.

Purse snatched from vehicle

An employee reported that between 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., March 22, while her vehicle was parked in the lower Allen Building parking lot, someone broke out a $150 window. Stolen items consisted of a $50 black purse and credit cards.

Keys stolen

A student reported that at around 3 p.m. March 21, while she was in a shower in House E, someone entered and stole her key ring with the bathroom, room and mail keys on it, valued at $150.

DukeCard used fraudulently

A student reported that between noon Jan. 1 and 4 p.m. March 20, someone, unknown to her, had used her DukeCard several times without her authorization to make purchases totaling $369.

Wallet stolen

A student reported that between 3:15 and 5:30 p.m. March 20, someone entered her unsecured locker located in Wilson Recreation Center and stole her $30 wallet, containing $40 in cash, credit cards and driver's license.

Purse taken

An employee reported that between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. March 20, someone entered her office in the First Union Plaza, Suite 340, 2200 West Main St., and stole her purse. Her purse was recovered in the third floor men's room minus $80 in cash.

Vending machines damaged

It was reported at 3:16 a.m. March 20 that a vending machined located on the hallway leading to 4300 Duke Hospital North had been pride open. Another vending machine showed signs that someone attempted to pry it open as well. Damage was estimated at $50.

Wallet snatched

Someone entered an employee's office in 705 Broad St. sometime between 2:45 and 3 p.m. March 17, and stole her $25 unsecured wallet, containing credit cards, driver's license and health insurance card.

Crime briefs are compiled from Duke University Police Department reports. Anyone with knowledge about those responsible for these or other crimes at the University can contact Lt. Davis Trimmer at 684-4713 or Durham CrimeStoppers at 683-1200.

Share and discuss “CRIME BRIEFS” on social media.