Column: Anti-war? Are you serious?

This being my third column, I figure it's about time I address this entire war issue. Or non-issue, because it shouldn't be one. But first, something I feel the need touch on from two weeks ago.

I was neither shocked nor enraged when I heard that Sami Al-Arian, father of former Chronicle columnist/propagandist Abdullah Al-Arian was arrested as a leader of one of the world's most dangerous terrorist organizations, Palestinian Islamic Jihad. In fact, I felt like my letter to the editor criticizing the publication of his columns last year was justified. What really bothered me was the hypocrisy that it unveiled. I gave no credit to anyone who came out against Laura Whitehorn speaking on Duke's campus because there was no problem when Al-Arian was writing his columns for The Chronicle. It shows that when someone attacks something familiar, like the U.S. Capitol building, people get all in an uproar. But when Al-Arian wrote his obviously anti-Semitic articles, basically justifying terrorist attacks on Israel, how many letter were sent to The Chronicle? Those that did speak out were ultimately met with a Chronicle-issued apology to Al-Arian. Terrorism is terrorism, and if we don't fight it in every form, then we have no right to criticize any of it. You cannot simply justify one with the First Amendment and then attempt to censor another.

It is this type of mentality that leads to my next issue--those of you who are anti-war. Are you serious? Everyone talks about how trendy this school is. Well, it appears the latest trend is protesting the war. I am sick and tired of hearing about "Bush's war" and about how this is all about oil. I voted for Al Gore, but maybe a guns-blazing Texan is exactly what we need. Maybe you don't remember, but only a year and a half ago, my backyard, New York City, was in flames. No one was against bombing Afghanistan then, were they? Hell no. People were ready to go fight any 'stan they could find. This is the next logical step in the war on terrorism.

I don't think anyone truly believes that leaving Saddam in power is good for the world. Even if he isn't guilty of everything we have heard, his track record alone is good enough for me. He is ruthless, gives money to suicide bombers and even tortures his Olympic team. Oh yeah, he also is almost certainly hiding several weapons of mass destruction, and a few diseases that could eliminate whole countries. I wouldn't even be surprised if he had plans to ruin American Idol. So what's the problem here? People like to use the "war as a last option" shtick. I have even seen these ridiculous "Inspections work. War doesn't" posters. People have called for peaceful alternatives. What have the past 10 years been? Since we whooped his ass in the Gulf War, Saddam has been playing games with the U.S. If this were a game show, Saddam would be up to about his 75th dare. It's time for the Physical Challenge.

Apparently, being anti-war is in the same company with reality T.V. and hating on Michael Jackson. Everybody's doing it. Stop this peace, love and understanding bull and realize that sometimes the use of force is necessary. As for the rest of the world being against the war, look at the countries that are leading the anti-war effort. France? I would love to see how the French would feel if the Eiffel Tower were bombed. And last time I heard, the French military hasn't been close to dominant. If it weren't for the U.S. getting involved in World War II, Oktoberfest would be held in Paris these days. Germany? I may be mistaken, but aren't they the classic model for unwarranted use of aggression? Germany opposing a war in Iraq is like the International Delights guy becoming the spokesperson for Heinz. Not much legitimacy, is there? Europe can object all they want, but they haven't been hit like we have. The minute a European country has its nationalism threatened by an attack of mass proportion like the U.S. has, they will all fall in line behind the fight against terrorism.

So enough with these protests. War will happen, and when it does, the world will be a safer place. In my opinion, after Iraq, bring on North Korea. Sing "Kumbaya" all you want, but I can't wait to hear "Bombs over Baghdad."

Tal Hirshberg is a Trinity junior. His column appears every third Wednesday.

Share and discuss “Column: Anti-war? Are you serious?” on social media.