Blue Devils fall to Cowboys after 3-3 spring break

After going 3-3 over spring break, the baseball team lost 2-1 to Oklahoma State Monday afternoon at historic Jack Coombs Field.

With the score tied at one in the top of the eighth, Duke pitcher Kevin Thompson walked Jose Virgil. One batter later, Josh Fields singled up the middle to plate the winning run.

The Blue Devils tried to rally, putting Adam Loftin on with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, but could not bring the tying run in.

Russell Dufree and Thompson split the work for Duke, allowing only six hits. Cowboys pitchers Joe Weaver and Shane Hawk out dueled them, however, allowing just one unearned run on six hits.

"I'm very pleased with the way Russell Dufree and Kevin Thompson threw," head coach Bill Hillier said. "There was great pitching from both teams. You have to give Oklahoma State credit. Both of their kids played really well."

Duke lone run came in the bottom of the third. John Berger and Senterrio Landrum began the inning with back-to-back singles, putting Berger at third. Senior Brian Patrick brought home Berger with a sacrifice fly.

The Cowboys were quick to respond, using a pair of singles to bring home John Urick.

The loss dropped Duke to 6-5 in one-run games.

Over spring break, Duke complied a 3-3 record, taking 2-of-3 off Elon before being swept in a two-game series by Ball State. In its next game Duke beat Brown 9-8 in 10 innings, but the Blue Devils' final games, against Radford, was canceled.

"I'm please with the way our guys battled," Hillier said. "We will play at North Carolina A&T on Wednesday and then get ready to go to Virginia for a three-game series."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils fall to Cowboys after 3-3 spring break” on social media.