LoBiondo takes on interim student activities role

Assistant Dean of Students Deb LoBiondo will become Duke's interim director of student activities, Zoila Airall, assistant vice president for student affairs, announced Tuesday.

LoBiondo will provide leadership and administrative oversight for the Office of Student Activities, supervise the staff, and foster and manage relationships with students, staff and colleagues, Airall said. LoBiondo will succeed Sue Coon, who was removed from the position by Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta two weeks ago.

"Deb is the best person for the job because she has had significant supervisory experience and in her most recent position, she has selected a staff of professionals for a new position, that of Residence Coordinator," Airall wrote in an e-mail. "She helped create the position and provided the orientation and day to day supervision for the new position."

Eddie Hull, director of residence life and housing services, will assume LoBiondo's responsibilities for West Campus and Campus Council during this interim period.

"Deb works with Campus Council and Resident Advisors and has good solid knowledge and sound judgment about student development and student organization advising. These are some of the areas of greatest responsibility in Student Activities," Airall wrote. "Deb is also a high-energy person who is both thoughtful in her work and responsive to her staff and students."

Duke is now conducting a national search for a permanent director of student activities, and hopes to have that person in place by July 1.

Coon's removal was motivated by Executive Vice President Tallman Trask's reorganization of the Division of Auxiliary Services, a move that transfers oversight of student events and student center facilities to Moneta's office July 1.

In announcing Coon's removal, Moneta said he was looking for a different skill set from the one she possessed.

Share and discuss “LoBiondo takes on interim student activities role” on social media.