Letter: Divestment discouraged because of unequal scrutiny

The nationwide campaign by Palestinian supporters to divest from Israel has been a total flop for a good reason: The public understands its total hypocrisy and is not willing to absolve terrorism for its role in the conflict.

Why, for example, does Yousuf al-Bulushi only want to implement the part of Resolution 242 that makes demands on Israel. It calls on all states to recognize Israel and end "all claims or states of belligerency" in return for Israel's withdrawal "from territories." Why does the petition not demand that Duke divest from every government that does not recognize Israel and supports terrorism against Israel including the Palestinian Authority.

In addition, international law does not require a state to withdraw from land acquired in a defensive war until all sides have made peace. Peace is, therefore, a prerequisite for withdrawal, but al-Bulushi has turned international law on its head.

While compensation for refugees is proper, with 8.5 million Palestinians and 5 million Jews, a return of all refugees would be the de facto death of Israel.

It is also telling that al-Bulushi's indignation does not extend to the lack of compensation for the 900,000 Jewish Arab refugees and their millions of descendants.

Share and discuss “Letter: Divestment discouraged because of unequal scrutiny” on social media.