Editorial: Avery for academic affairs

In the race for Duke Student Government vice president for academic affairs, junior Avery Reaves stands out for his in-depth knowledge on the issues and his extensive experience within DSG, having served for two years on the Academic Affairs Committee.

Reaves's platform consists of a number of ideas, many of which are of vital importance to the students of this University. Reaves wants to expand the course evaluation system to the Pratt School of Engineering, educate students on the new Duke Community Standard that goes into effect next year, and expanding and improving the pre-major advising system. All of these initiatives are both very necessary and things that DSG can feasibly accomplish.

However, on several issues, Reaves should reconsider his thinking. With regard to transforming SACES from an opt-in system to an opt-out system, while the opt-out system would be preferable for students, there is little chance that professors will ever agree to this type of system, so Reaves should focus his energies elsewhere. But more importantly, on the issue of Curriculum 2000, Reaves should work with the administration in its impending review of the system rather than waiting for the administration to complete its review and then having DSG respond.

Reaves's opponent, sophomore Maggie Peloso, has a different kind of experience with DSG, having served as executive secretary this past year. Peloso focuses on many of the same issues as Reaves, but lacks his academic affairs experience and comprehensive knowledge.

The Chronicle formally endorses Avery Reaves for Duke Student Government vice president for academic affairs.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Avery for academic affairs” on social media.