Central plans garner mixed views

Students expressed mixed reaction to the preliminary plans for the future renovation of Central Campus.

Although some of the University's recently-released initial proposals--which include the creation of a University Village complete with a Main Street, new apartments and a new transit system--may not be feasible or necessary, the overall direction of the 275-acre area is welcomed, students said.

"I think that Central Campus, the way it is now, is not inviting for people who don't live there," said senior Henny Yeung. "You wouldn't go to Central Campus if you don't live there or don't know anyone who lives there."

Yeung said he was most interested in the creation of the University Village.

The proposed Main Street area of the University Village could include stores, restaurants, bars, a performing arts center, a health club and a bowling alley, as well as offices, a village square, outdoor vendors and city-like alleys.

"I like smaller stores and not necessarily a lot of chains," Yeung added. "Maybe one anchor store like a Barnes and Noble, but not a lot of big department stores like The Gap. I don't think that's appropriate."

Senior Karen Tenenbaum disagreed. "I think it would be great if we could have a J. Crew on Central Campus," she said.

Students said they welcome the possible proximity to such amenities and the unification of East, Central and West Campuses.

"Not having to walk all the way from Main West to Wilson [Recreation Center] or all the way to Brodie to work out would be great," Yeung said, "as would having some kind of place where you can walk around in at night and not have it be desolate."

But senior Jiyoon Im said one possible element of Main Street--restaurants--is unnecessary.

"I don't think we need any more restaurants; we have enough eateries," she said.

"An expansion of the student center would be a lot more effective in promoting more student interaction. It would be a better investment than another restaurant or a monorail."

The possibility of a new transit system to replace the University buses has also sparked controversy. Officials are currently considering a number of options including a "cable-driven people mover," a light rail train and an environmentally-friendly "articulated" bus system.

"Monorails haven't been cool since 1985 and I can't believe they're putting one in on Central Campus," Tenenbaum said.

Others said the University should reconsider its priorities. "I think it's ridiculous that the University has $2 billion and they feel they need to spend it on a monorail," junior Arthur Wood said. "Given how close Central Campus is to the other major parts of the campus, I don't think it is needed."

Yeung disagreed: "It would be expensive but it would be convenient. It's however much money we have and however much money we want to spend."

The possibility of new apartments--with beds for 800 undergraduates and 300 or 400 graduate and professional school students--excites many students.

"I think they should start over by bulldozing everything and building the apartments from the ground up," said junior Andy Brandmaier.

Tenenbaum said she was eager for apartments "that don't look like shoeboxes with windows," have non-fluorescent lighting and no industrial strength carpets.

For most students, however, the Central Campus changes--which could take almost 20 years and cost several hundred million dollars--are too far off to think about.

"By the time any of this happens, I'll be long gone," said senior Kyle Smith, echoing a common sentiment. "I hope it's really nice, but I'm skeptical that it will be as nice as they make it out to be. It'll be great for the students who are here."

Share and discuss “Central plans garner mixed views” on social media.