Young trustee finalists chosen

The Inter-Community Council selected the three finalists for this year's undergraduate young trustee this week, is the first group ever not to include a member of Duke Student Government.

Senior Brady Beecham, former president of the Duke University Union; senior Andrew Nurkin, president of Campus Council; and senior Jesse Panuccio, current president of the Union, were notified late Tuesday night of the decision that they are finalists.

The DSG legislature and the ICC will vote together on who will be the young trustee at DSG's meeting next Wednesday, Jan. 29. Since the ICC took over the process and DSG was formed from the remains of the Associate Students of Duke University in 1994, each group of finalists has included at least one member of DSG. Last year's group of finalists was the first not to include an executive officer of DSG. Of the nine semifinalists, four were DSG executive officers or Cabinet members, including DSG President Joshua Jean-Baptiste.

None of this year's finalists thought the absence of a DSG member in the round of three would significantly alter the contest. "I just think it proves the impartiality of the process, because there were concerns raised last year," Nurkin said.

Beecham, a double major in biology and environmental science and policy from Lincoln, Neb., is a member of Round Table selective house and the Freshman Advisory Council Board, and she vied for the DSG presidency last spring. She has said that continuing research, safety issues for women and selecting a new president would be her top priorities on the Board.

"For me, it's an honor to look at the other candidates and know they are people I have seen dedicating their time and energy to Duke over the course of many semesters," said Beecham, who spent the fall semester studying abroad in Brazil.

Nurkin, an English major from Atlanta, is also a member of the Duke Honor Council, Sigma Chi fraternity and Project BUILD. The three-year member of Campus Council said he would work on the Board to help design and complete campus construction and work to implement the academic program as laid out in the University's long-term strategic plan.

"Obviously, it's a tremendous honor and I'm very humbled and I look forward to the rest of the process," he said.

Panuccio, a public policy studies major from Rockaway, N.J., who is also a member of Sigma Chi fraternity, has served as the Union's executive vice president and chair of the major speakers committee.

He said that social life on campus, including the future of greek organizations and the student village, monitoring facility changes and their influence on campus life, maintaining the Medical Center's national reputation while balancing research and patient care, and employee care and benefits are issues the Board should consider.

Panuccio characterized the field as both fantastic and highly qualified.

"I'm looking forward to the chance to speak to the DSG legislature and to outline my love of Duke and my vision and my experience," Panuccio said.

Molly Nicholson contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Young trustee finalists chosen” on social media.