UNIVERSITY BRIEFS

Anderson passes away

Carl Anderson, professor emeritus of English who was active in faculty governance, died Jan. 22 after an unspecified illness. He was 83.

Anderson came to Duke in 1955 after earning his doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania. His early work looked at connections between Scandinavian and American literature.

He was a member of the first Academic Council 40 years ago, and he served as Academic Council chair from 1973 to 1975 and as university ombudsman from 1983 to 1988. He was also a member of the Christie Committee in 1971, the faculty panel that established the principles of faculty governance that have since served the University.

"He was a dear friend," said Dale Randall, a colleague in the Department of English, in a release. "He was a man widely known for his learning, thoughtfulness and dignity. Dr. Anderson at home was a fine cook and until recent years, a fine gardener."

'Women and Activism' panel planned for Tuesday

The Sanford Institute for Public Policy, the Kenan Institute for Ethics, the Women's Center and the Community Service Center are sponsoring a "Women and Activism" panel at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 28 in Sanford room 05.

The panelists will explore what makes an "activist," where these women find their inspirations and what contemporary social issues are at the forefront of women's activism, organizers said.

Panelists include: Catherine Admay, professor of international law and director of the International Development Clinic; Becky Thompson, visiting associate professor of African and African American Studies; Mandy Carter, an African-American lesbian activist and development coordinator for Southerners on New Ground; Cheryl Ann Welsh, North Carolina state coordinator for Human Rights Campaign; Elizabeth Kiss, director of the Kenan Institute for Ethics; Theresa El Amin, founding member of Southern Anti-Racist Network and the Black Radical Congress; and Hua Wang, a senior undergraduate who participated in the Service Opportunities in Leadership Program and has grassroots activist experience.

AAS conference set

A colloquium on "Transforming the Academy: Asian American Studies" will be presented at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 29 in the Fleishman Commons of Sanford. The event features Evelyn Hu-DeHart, professor of history at Brown University and director of its Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America; Gary Okihiro, professor of international and public affairs at Columbia University and director of its Center for the Study of Ethnicity and Race and of the Asian-American Studies Program; and Stephen Sumida, professor of literature at the University of Washington and professor and chair of American Ethnic Studies and President of the American Studies Association.

Share and discuss “UNIVERSITY BRIEFS” on social media.