Letter: Hockey team deserves more respect from columnist

I am writing this letter as a response to the pitiful attempt at sarcasm by Rob Goodman that appeared in the Jan. 14 edition of The Chronicle. Yes, I realize that the article was meant as a joke, but judging from the confused questions my friends have asked me such as, "Why is the team starting a large block of wood in net over you?" I think Goodman failed miserably and a clarification is necessary.

The truth is that the club ice hockey team is one of the most organized and well-run club sports at Duke. While funding from the school is limited, we are fortunate enough to have a great private backing and manage to pay for lots of great stuff through fundraising efforts. For example, our new jerseys, made by OT Sports, are of the same quality as those worn by the Duke mens' basketball team, if not better.

Currently, our record is 6-7 (3-4 ACC) and the team is going strong with about 30 players. On Oct. 19th, the Devils played Georgia Tech in Atlanta's Philips Arena-home of the NBA's Hawks and the NHL's Thrashers-in front of over 1,000 fans. And the team is looking forward to playing in Lexington's Rupp Arena on February 17 against the Wildcats of Kentucky, whose average attendance this season has been 7,500.

At home, despite our tireless efforts to find a frozen pond to play on in the tundra that is North Carolina, we have been forced to retreat to the Triangle Sportsplex in Hillsborough, where the team enjoys a private locker room. Join us there for our next home game on Saturday, Jan. 25, against Virginia Tech at 6:00 p.m.

Share and discuss “Letter: Hockey team deserves more respect from columnist” on social media.