Letter: Contrary to column, race relations a two-way street

After reading Philip Kurian's column about race on Duke's campus, "A Unique Experience," was a bit dismayed by his analysis. While I appreciate his genuine and revealing insight into the troubles of white-black social interaction, I was disappointed in his gross characterization of whites as latent racists. In making his arguments, he conveniently places select thought into the collective white-man's ethos.

According to Kurian, all white Duke students believe Asians are "model minorities," think blacks are "perpetrators of violence, crime and sexual assault" and advocate that minorities act "more like whites." By resorting to these unfounded and disingenuous attacks on whites, Kurian does a great disservice to his otherwise thought-provoking piece.

Furthermore the assertion that the relationship between blacks and whites is one of fear employs poor reasoning. First, it is apparently only white Americans who have this fear "instilled in their hearts" and "nurtured in them from an early age." But where is the evidence that Kurian bases this broad conspiracy of conscious or unconscious indoctrination? Second, he attributes this supposed fear by whites as being rooted in slavery. However, if modern whites fostered emotions and thoughts dating back to slavery, wouldn't they more likely be ones of domination or superiority? The deduction between slavery and fear is illogical.

The article's critique of race on campus ends with an advisement that white students must make "fundamental change in how [they] approach social situations with black Americans." Kurian's advice, while insightful, loses credibility because of his one-sided perspective. The reader is left to question whether Kurian really appreciates the two-way street that is race relations on Duke's campus. It is not simply a black or white problem. As with any issues of note, the problem and solution lie in some shade of gray.

It is easy to argue when one maligns your opponent and takes a one-dimensional approach to the problem. Perhaps with a bit more thought and deliberation, Kurian can offer his readers a true soul-searching about Duke's racial problems.

Share and discuss “Letter: Contrary to column, race relations a two-way street” on social media.