Letter: Abortion should continue to be protected in U.S.

Today is the 30th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court ruling that made abortion legal in the United States. This landmark decision cited the right to privacy as grounds for legalizing abortion. Now, when Americans are faced with threats to other civil liberties, less focus is being placed on their freedom to choose. Although most voters are pro-choice, the current actions of elected officials are not representative of popular opinion.

The George W. Bush administration and the newly elected Congress have put reproductive freedoms in crisis. Currently, the lower level courts are being stacked with anti-choice judges. In addition, if President George W. Bush places anti-choice justices on the Supreme Court, the delicate 5-4 balance will be tipped, potentially reversing the outcome of Roe v. Wade. Under these circumstances, we will regress to the days of back-alley abortions. Certified abortion providers may soon be replaced with coat hangers and "street doctors."

The so-called pro-life movement is misguided in its efforts to prevent abortion. By supporting abstinence-only education, pro-life advocates perpetuate the circumstances that lead to abortions in the first place. The pro-choice movement not only aims at keeping abortion safe and legal, but also making abortions less necessary by preventing unintended pregnancies through comprehensive sex education. The pro-choice movement empowers men and women to make decisions about their own sexual health, from reducing the occurrence of STDs to promoting family planning. Today, join in celebration with the millions of men and women who support sexual health and reproductive freedom. To take action, visit www.naral.org or www.saveroe.com.

Share and discuss “Letter: Abortion should continue to be protected in U.S.” on social media.