James drops 32 points, dominates in Greensboro

GREENSBORO - While the rest of the state celebrated Martin Luther King Jr., Day Monday, the 15,000 plus fans- the largest ever to see a high school basketball game in North Carolina - inside Greensboro Coliseum were exalting King James.

The 6-foot-7, 240 pound Lebron James scored 32 points in St. Vincent-St. Mary's (Akron, Ohio) dominating 85-56 win over R.J. Reynolds (Winston-Salem, N.C.) yesterday.

Matched-up with the University of North Carolina signee Reyshawn Terry, James and his St. Vincent-St. Mary's teammates struggled early to only a 19-16 first quarter lead against the massive Reynolds squad.

There was no exception to the rule that the cream always rises to the top in the second quarter, however, as St. Vincent-St. Mary's full-court press and James' dominance dismantled Reynolds, one of the best teams in North Carolina. While Terry and the Demons struggled to get the ball past half court, James effortlessly picked apart any defense thrown at him.

"We were concerned about getting into a half-court game because of their size," St. Vincent-St. Mary's head coach Dru Joyce said. "Fortunately we were able to get into an up-tempo game. We frustrated them with our pressure."

Playing in Air Jordans instead of the Adidas shoes the rest of his team wears because he "was in North Carolina," James started the second quarter with an easy tip-in, which seemed to brew the confidence he needed for the more spectacular plays he would later make.

Three plays after hitting an impressive three-pointer in the face of Terry, James outdid himself when he caught the ball on the baseline and leapt to finish just as three Reynolds players, who were all at least 6-foot-7, surrounded the hoop. Instead of trying to rise over the giants - a viable option for the ultra-athletic Akron super-star - James maneuvered under his opponents while in the air and flipped the ball onto the other side of the backboard for a spectacular basket. James sprinted back on defense as if it were a daily ritual.

James' only other highlight of the half was a drive that baited Terry into his third foul. Struggling to find his game against James' unusual talent and with foul trouble, Terry finished with an un-impressive eight points.

"He's a great player and you can't take anything away from him," Terry said. "I hope he does well in the NBA."

Entering the third quarter with a 40-24 lead, James improved on his excellent play by mixing highlights worthy of Sportscenter with fundamental moves.

When a lowly Reynolds guard decided to challenge James' inside presence with 3:45 left in the quarter, the No. 1 high school player in the United States squashed the ball into the ground. While the Reynolds players huffed-and-puffed down the court after this set-back, James sprinted like a deer to the other end of the court, where he caught and dunked his second alley-oop from Joyce.

As the third quarter came to a close, James decided to give the crowd one more highlight. As he tried to drive to his right, a Reynolds defender finally had success as James' progress stopped. Instead of letting his opponent bask in his glory, James switched directions by putting the ball between his legs and pulled up for a jump shot. The Reynolds player recovered in time to put a hand in James face. James, who appeared to be annoyed by the pressure, faked the shot, making his defender fly by him. James then made an easy 18-footer at the buzzer. James had 30 points and St. Vincent-St. Mary's had a 60-41 lead at the end of the quarter.

James spent most of the fourth quarter on the bench where he enthusiastically cheered for his teammates as one of his other teammates lackadaisically drank a Pepsi while watching the blow-out.

"That's just me," James said. "I am a humble guy. Yeah, sometimes I get cocky on the floor, but off the floor I'm humble."

Share and discuss “James drops 32 points, dominates in Greensboro” on social media.