Crime Briefs

Vehicle stolen

An employee reported Dec. 13 that her teal $7,000 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix, license plate KTF 9252 NC, was taken from Parking Garage 2. She reported that she believes her estranged husband took her vehicle without her permission.

Laptops lifted

A student reported that between 11:45 a.m. and 11:55 p.m. Dec. 12, someone stole his unprotected $4,150 silver Samsung laptop computer, model Sence Q; $100 blue Nautica backpack; and checks and checkbook, valued at $50. His property was stolen from the School of Law library, second floor desk 2C35.

Between 11:30 a.m. Dec. 13 and 8 a.m. Dec. 16, someone entered Duke North CT scan room and stole an employee's Dell/Latitude laptop computer, power attachments, black leather case and 25 CDs, with a combined value of $3,000.

A student reported that 8 p.m. Dec. 15 and 10:30 a.m. Dec. 16, someone entered his secured locker in the School of Law and stole his $2,000 Hewlett Packard laptop computer, $50 black nylon laptop computer case, $30 Bro backpack and three textbooks, valued at $100. The $10 combination lock was taken and the locker was forced open causing $50 in damage.

Generator grabbed

An employee reported that sometime between Dec. 12 and Dec. 16, someone stole an unprotected $1,500 red Generax 3500 XL portable electric generator from 600 Eubanks Rd. in Duke Forest.

Scale stolen

Someone entered a room in the Human Genetics Building between 8:30 and 9 a.m. Dec. 13, and stole a $1,300 Mettler scale, serial number 1115383230.

Safes, cash taken

An employee reported that two $100 small petty cash safes were stolen from two offices at Brightleaf Square. The safes were last reported seen on Dec. 19. One safe was reported to have contained $1,139.45 and the other safe was empty. Responding officers also found pry marks on the doors to the offices.

Speaker systems swiped

A visitor reported that between 7 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. Jan. 6 his vehicle was broken into while parked in the Edens B parking lot. The left side window appeared to have been forced open, causing $50 in damage and $200 damage to the console. His $299 JVC CD player, two $680 Polk Audio speakers and one $12 CD were stolen.

An employee reported that sometime between Dec. 30 and Jan. 2 someone entered her office in the Prosthetics and Orthotics area of Duke Clinics and stole a $300 set of Harmon-Kardon computer speakers and a sub-woofer. There was no sign of forced entry to the office.

Assault reported

On Dec. 17 at 4:04 p.m. a Duke police officer responded to the rear of Wilson Dormitory in reference to a reported fight in progress. Upon arrival a Duke employee reported that she took a parking place that a male visitor wanted. She said he drove by her using profanity directed at her. After she went into Wilson, she observed the same man placing something on her vehicle. It was later learned that the man was placing an apology note on the windshield. She returned to her car and confronted him.

The employee said there was a brief struggle between the two, and that he assaulted her by grabbing her by the collar. He stated that he was attempting to get the note from her and she was refusing to give it to him. He was trespassed from Duke.

Cash stolen

An employee reported that $750 in cash was taken from a locked cash box in an office at the Diet and Fitness Center on 804 West Trinity Ave. Sometime between Dec. 26 at 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. on Dec. 27 he found the money missing from the box. There are no signs of forced entry to the box or office.

Wallet taken

A Nearly New Shoppe employee reported that between 8:30 and 9 a.m. Dec. 14, while her vehicle was parked in the Douglas Street parking lot, someone broke out the $150 right front window valued and stole her $50 wallet containing $350 cash, checkbook, credit cards and driver's license.

CD players pilfered

Sometime after 9:55 p.m. Dec. 13, someone entered a student's secured car at 314 Anderson St. The car's $200 driver's side window was broken, and his $100 Sony/Discman portable CD player with car adapter and $15 cellular phone adapter were stolen.

Sometime between 4 and 8:45 a.m. Dec. 15, someone broke out the $150 driver's side window of a visitor's vehicle while it was parked at 312 Anderson St. A $35 Emerson CD player and $200 Aiwa in-dash CD player were stolen, causing $125 in damage to the dashboard.

Vehicle entered

An employee reported that her vehicle was broken into between 8 a.m. and 11:17 p.m. in the PL parking lot on Elder Street. The suspect entered the vehicle by breaking out the $200 left front window. A plastic bag with unknown contents was stolen from the vehicle.

Tools taken

An employee reported that between noon Dec. 14 and 7:50 a.m. Dec. 16, someone stole his $10 Duke ID badge, $10 hat and two bottle of pills valued at $50, from his locker located in the Facilities Management Department. Another employee reported that two hammers, valued at $70, were stolen from his tool box. A third employee reported the theft of a $20 Phillips head screwdriver from his tool box.

Crime briefs are compiled from Duke University Police Department reports. Anyone with knowledge about those responsible for these or other crimes at the University can contact Lt. Davis Trimmer at 684-4713 or Durham CrimeStoppers at 683-1200.

Share and discuss “Crime Briefs” on social media.