University briefs

Youth Program wins "Coming Up Taller award" in Washington

Youth Document Durham, a Duke program that involves young people from diverse local communities in documentary projects, received a 2002 "Coming Up Taller Award" from First Lady Laura Bush Dec. 2 during a White House ceremony.

The award, sponsored by the President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities, the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Institute of Museum and Library Services, was presented to 13 programs in the United States and Mexico.

The awards recognize excellence in community-based, after-school arts and humanities programs, particularly programs that provide young people with chances to contribute to their communities and to take responsibility for their own futures.

Youth Document Durham, a program of the Center for Documentary Studies, was selected to receive the award from 368 nominations.

The 2002 Coming Up Taller awards ceremony marks the fifth anniversary of the event. The awardees each will receive $10,000. This year marks the first time that a North Carolina organization has won the award.

UConn women's basketball game tickets available for students

Athletics officials are offering early tickets for the Feb. 1 nationally televised women's basketball game between No. 1 Duke and defending national champion No. 4 Connecticut in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Duke undergraduate and graduate students can pick-up their tickets today and tomorrow at the following locations: Bryan Center Box Office from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; the Duke Ticket Office in Cameron from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; the East Campus Marketplace today only between 5 and 7 p.m.

Freewater Holiday Film Festival set for Friday night

Freewater Presentations is hosting a special holiday film festival Friday night to offer a respite from studying for finals. The movies are free and will be held in the Griffith Film Theater in the Bryan Center. The schedule: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (30 minutes), 9:30 p.m.; The Nightmare Before Christmas (80 minutes), 10:30 p.m.; How the Grinch Stole Christmas (30 minutes), midnight.

Share and discuss “University briefs” on social media.