Jacobs to succeed Anderson as chair of surgery

Dr. Danny Jacobs, a specialist in gastrointestinal surgery, was named chair of the department of surgery at Duke University Medical Center, officials announced Wednesday.

Jacobs will assume his new position Feb. 1, pending approval of the Board of Trustees at their meeting this weekend. He currently serves as chair and Arnold W. Lempka Distinguished Professor of Surgery at Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, Neb.

"I am extremely honored to be named as chair," Jacobs said from his home in Omaha. "Duke is one of the premier surgery departments and one of the nation's best training programs.... It's a wonderful opportunity. It's probably the best surgery chair job in the country."

Jacobs succeeds Dr. Robert Anderson, who is stepping down as chair after eight years in the position.

"Dr. Jacobs brings to the role of chair a record of achievement in teaching and research, a deep commitment to clinical excellence, prior experience as a department chair and a persuasive personal vision for the future of surgery at Duke in the coming decades," said Dr. Sandy Williams, vice chancellor for academic affairs and dean of the School of Medicine, in a statement.

Jacobs said his leadership style is direct, nonthreatening and nonconfrontational.

"I'm committed to excellence," he added. "I'm the kind of person that recognizes that the best way to be successful is through a collaborative approach."

He said that besides the department's excellent reputation, he was drawn to Duke by the people with whom he will be working.

"They are a devoted bunch of individuals, and there's a fervor and loyalty in them I've never seen anywhere else," he said. "And the leadership is spectacular. They have a clear vision, they're honest, they're committed and they're also nice people."

One of four finalists for the chair, Jacobs beat out two other external candidates and Dr. Ted Pappas, professor of surgery at Duke.

Jacobs said while he was optimistic about the future of the department, some aspects need to be examined.

"The department of surgery continues to do well clinically, but there are some constraints with regards to space and operations. The operating rooms are heavily utilized," he said.

He also cited the current nationwide malpractice crisis and the new 80-hour work week restrictions for residents as other issues with which he will need to deal.

"We'll have to think differently about how our residents are educated in the framework of dealing with the number of hours they can work," he said.

Jacobs will move to North Carolina with his wife and 16-year-old son. Despite the recent snowstorm, Jacobs said he was looking forward to the warmer Durham weather and living in the Research Triangle Park area.

Share and discuss “Jacobs to succeed Anderson as chair of surgery” on social media.