UNIVERSITY BRIEFS

Durham committee approves laundry facility rezoning request

The development team for the old Medical Center laundry facility secured a recommendation Oct. 23 for a small-area plan amendment from the Durham city planning commission. The zoning committee unanimously agreed Nov. 12 to recommend rezoning to allow for 16 housing units per acre at the site. The Durham Housing Authority will seek final approval from the city council Dec. 2. The development team is attempting to transform the facility into a senior citizen housing development.

Male-only sexual assault panel tonight

Wayne Manor is sponsoring a panel discussion on sexual assault on the Duke campus tonight. The discussion will be held in the Wannamaker 2 Commons Room at 7 p.m. The panelists include Administrative Coordinator of Student Health Ray Rodriguez, Director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Assistant Dean of Students Todd Adams and Assistant Director of Counseling and Psychological Services John Barrow. All three panelists are male, and the discussion is open to all male--and only male--students at the University.

The event is aimed at stimulating an honest discussion from the male perspective on sexual assault without the embarrassment or shyness that some male students may feel if female students are present, organizers said. The discussion will officially conclude at 8 p.m., but those wishing to discuss issues further are welcome to do so.

Iraq debate panels planned

Iraq and US--a new working group composed of faculty members, staff, students and administrators--are hoping to engage the Duke community in dialogue about the issues surrounding a potential war with Iraq. The group will hold several panel discussions this week. Each panel will be held at 8:15 p.m. in Room 130 of the Social Psychology Building.

Monday, Professor of Religion Bruce Lawrence and Professor of English at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Rashmi Varma will discuss "Putting a Face on Iraq."

Tuesday, Political Science Professor Peter Feaver, Associate Research Professor of Religion Ebrahim Moosa and Chuck Fager, director of the Quaker House in Fayetteville, will present "Ways to Resolve Conflict." Wednesday, Political Science Professor Robert Keohane, Professor of History Alex Roland, Assistant Professor of Public Policy Jacob Vigdor and Medical Center Human Resources Director Stephen Smith will be featured in a panel titled "Iraq and US."

Other events are scheduled throughout the week, including films, student discussion groups and performances.

Share and discuss “UNIVERSITY BRIEFS” on social media.