Letter: Housing situation unbearable in House W basement

It is early in the morning on a day when I have no early-morning classes. The ever-annoying sounds of construction have forced me to sacrifice my sleep, and continue to break my chain of thought as I type this letter.

This is just one of the many problems my roommate and I have to put up with while living in the basement of House W. This has been an issue ever since the semester began, be it drilling, hammering or just the sounds of vehicles moving. This is compounded by the fact that the basement gets insanely hot for most part of this semester, leaving us with no choice but to leave the window open, which obviously intensifies the disturbance. Furthermore, there is a walkway right by our window--so close, that people walking by can physically reach in and grab anything they want. Needless to say, we have our sleep consistently disrupted by the footsteps and jabber of passers-by.

But hey, don't all basement dwellers have to put up with this? That might be true, but even then we remain privileged. We have something no one else does: Surround Sound. Indeed, the sadistic architects who planned the layout for House W have had our room placed exactly one inch away from a main door--a heavy door that squeals open and slams shut every time someone walks through. Oh yes, if the construction doesn't get you this one will, even if you have ear plugs plugged into every orifice in your body.

It will suffice to say that we have been ripped off, and if the administration has even the slightest shred of decency, they will not charge us for room and board. For all you freshmen reading this letter, you better start praying that your housing assignment for next year doesn't read House W 001. Did I mention that we share a closet and have six pipes running across the ceiling?

Share and discuss “Letter: Housing situation unbearable in House W basement” on social media.