Crime Briefs

Car stolen from Med Center

Someone stole a $3,500 1995 green Suzuki Swift (N.C. license plate number PNP 8163) from Parking Garage 1 in the Medical Center.

Police report rash of car break-ins

Duke University Police discovered Oct. 28 at 4:30 p.m. seven vehicles had been broken into in the Alumni and "H" parking lots. Windows of the vehicles had been broken out and $3,000 of damage was done to CD equipment.

A student observed a white Acura (N.C. license plate number PTW1882) in the Alumni Lot occupied by two males who were acting suspicious. The police located the vehicle and charged the occupants with the break-ins. It is believed that all of the property was recovered.

Jose Israel Ramirez and Jose Noreaga were charged with breaking and entering motor vehicles and the possession of stolen property. Both Ramirez' and Noreaga's bonds were set at $15,000, and their court dates are set for Oct. 29. Neither could be reached for comment.

Police respond to noise complaint

A DUPD officer responded to 1911 Erwin Road in reference to noise complaints Oct. 27 at 2:26 a.m. A student allegedly used abusive language, made aggressive gestures and pushed the officer. A senior was charged with assault on a government official and intoxication and disruptiveness. His bond was set at $1,000 and his court date is set for Nov. 12. The student did not wish to provide comment.

Durham man trespassed

Yohannes Berhe, a Durham resident, was charged with trespassing on East Campus Oct. 29 at 2:20 p.m. His court date is Nov. 25. Berhe could not be reached for comment.

Computer lifted from Wash. Duke

Someone stole a visitor's unprotected $2,000 IBM T-22 laptop in the restaurant of the Washington Duke Inn between 9 p.m. Oct. 28 and 5:30 a.m. Oct. 29.

Items stolen from car

While an employee's vehicle was parked on LaSalle Street between 7:30 a.m. and 11:57 a.m. Nov. 2, someone shattered the $150 rear driver-side window and stole a $25 black brief bag with a Pratt School of Engineering logo containing an $800 Olympus digital camera, a $40 Radio Shack miniature tape recorder and miscellaneous receipts intended to be used for reimbursements.

Car broken into in Gross Chem lot

While a student's vehicle was parked in the Gross Chemistry lot between 2:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Oct. 31, someone caused $350 damage around a window and stole a $350 Kenwood CD/MP3 stereo (model KDCMPV619), 20 CDs valued at $400 and a $50 CD case.

Items lifted from Divinity School

Someone stole a visitor's unsecured $50 briefcase, two $50 Old Testament books and a $700 IBM laptop computer with "Neil Medical Group" stickers between 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Oct. 24 at the Divinity School.

CD player snatched

While an employee's vehicle was parked at the "H" lot between 10 a.m. and 7:24 p.m. Nov. 1, someone broke out the $200 driver-side window and stole a $200 Clarion CD (model DB325) player. A second vehicle was discovered in the lot with its $200 passenger-side window busted, but nothing was stolen.

Vehicle damaged

While a student's vehicle was parked on Wannamaker Drive between 10:20 p.m. and 11:20 p.m. Nov. 1, someone smashed the $200 driver-side window, caused $200 damage to the stereo console and stole the $200 stereo detachable face.

Car stereo, dash damaged

An employee left her secured vehicle in the "H" parking lot between 6:30 a.m. and 7:55 p.m. Oct. 31. Someone entered her vehicle and caused $250 in damage to her stereo and another $150 in damage to the dash board. There were no signs of forced entry.

Fanny pack stolen from diet center

While a patient was at the indoor pool at the Diet & Fitness Center between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Nov. 1, someone stole her unprotected black fanny pack $150, containing a $50 wallet, $80 cash, credit cards and a driver's license.

Phone pilfered from Teer

A student reported that between 12:30 a.m. and 1 a.m. Oct. 14, she was at the computer lab in Teer Library and her phone was at the chalk board charging. She left the phone behind when she exited the computer lab. When she returned, her $200 gold-colored Panasonic cellular phone (serial number 19304816306) had been stolen.

Shoes taken from outside apartment

Someone stole a student's $199 adidas and Vans sneakers from outside his 312 Anderson St. apartment between 9 p.m. Oct. 25 and 10:34 a.m. Oct. 30.

Student misplaces gym bag

A student reported that between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Oct. 23, she misplaced her gym bag containing a $150 LG cellular phone and $30 worth of clothing. She found out that the phone was still being used by someone.

Window broken out

While an employee's vehicle was parked at the Washington Duke Inn between 6 p.m. Nov. 1 and 12:50 p.m. Nov. 2, someone broke out the $150 driver-side window, but nothing was stolen.

Purse snatched from clinic

An employee left her unprotected purse at her desk located at the Roxboro Road Clinic between 6:15 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Oct. 30. When she returned, she discovered that $100 cash had been stolen.

Crime briefs are compiled from Duke University Police Department reports. Anyone with knowledge about those responsible for these or other crimes at the University can contact Lt. Davis Trimmer at 684-4713 or Durham CrimeStoppers at 683-1200.

Share and discuss “Crime Briefs” on social media.