University briefs

The University will hold its annual Founders' Day Convocation in Duke Chapel Oct. 3, a day before the University's Board of Trustees conducts its fall meeting.

Presided over by President Nan Keohane, the Founders' Day service will honor outstanding undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, employees and alumni. The service begins at 4 p.m. and is open to the public.

William Anlyan, chancellor emeritus of the Duke Medical Center and a trustee of The Duke Endowment, and alumnus John McMahon, chair emeritus of the Duke University Board of Trustees, will receive the University Medal for Distinguished Meritorious Service--the University's highest award--for their years of service.

The convocation address will be given by Robert Connor, president and director of the National Humanities Center since 1989. In addition to awarding the University medals, Keohane will present Duke's Distinguished Alumni Award to trustee emeritus Edward Benenson. Other awards will be presented to faculty and alumni.

Founders' Day celebrates the founding of the University, and this year will mark the 101st anniversary of the first event honoring the Duke family at this institution. In 1901, when the school was Trinity College, the school held a Benefactors' Day to pay tribute to Washington Duke.

Share and discuss “University briefs” on social media.