Loop, Pauly Dogs scrap plans for delivery service

Despite plans discussed last year, freshmen will still have to go to West Campus to get their tomato bisque.

Both The Loop and Pauly Dogs took steps toward delivery last spring, but the two West Campus vendors have put those plans on indefinite hold.

Spencer Pope, manager of The Loop, said he foresees no Loop delivery in the immediate future, due to what he called already-bustling student demand. Pauly Konstanzer, owner of Pauly Dogs, said adding Philly cheese steaks to a potential delivery menu has also been scuttled in favor of operating hot dog service during late-night hours on the weekend.

Pauly Dogs, which had sporadically operated last year during late-night basketball victories and other celebrations, hired an extra employee, Ted Bullock, to work the cart'Äîwhich moves to Main West Quadrangle at night from its daytime location outside The Loop'ÄîThursday through Saturday evenings until 4:30 a.m. He said he hopes to expand late-night service throughout the week.

"You know I'm going to stick to what I do," Konstanzer said. "That's what I do. I'm the hot dog guy."

Although The Loop will not be keeping a late-night pace with Pauly Dogs, Pope did not rule out possible delivery in the future.

"There are many possibilities for The Loop and yes, delivery is potentially one of them," he said. "But we're very popular and I don't think production would be able to keep up."

The Loop, a franchise based in Chapel Hill, arrived on campus in fall 2000 and is one of the most successful eateries on campus.

Students expressed disappointment that neither Pauly Dogs nor The Loop would begin delivery, but others said they were unsure if the two vendors would even get much business for delivery.

"There's a lot of selection for delivery, and of course it would be much better if they [Pauly Dogs and the Loop] did start delivering, but I don't know if they'd get much delivery business being right on campus, as opposed to Grace's Cafc on Central [Campus]," said sophomore Brett Goodwin. "Still, I'm kind of disappointed they're not."

Junior David Mooney, who lives on Central, thought there are already plenty of food delivery options. "Pauly Dogs or The Loop delivery is not going to make or break my dining experience," he said.

Yet freshmen, who live on East Campus, seemed most distraught. "I am very disappointed," said freshman Ian Zack. "I really like The Loop's food."

Share and discuss “Loop, Pauly Dogs scrap plans for delivery service” on social media.