Letter: Despite columnist's comment, Duke has debates

If Bill English claims that Duke is "not a place for the free exchange of ideas," he's obviously been taking the wrong classes or been talking to the wrong people. I'm a freshman, and in almost every one of my classes (political science, history, writing and Spanish), we've discussed controversial issues and engaged in substantial debates.

The same thing has happened among other people in my dorm��and many of them have views like English, and have no trouble publicizing that fact.

My point being, if you want constructive debate, you really don't have to look very hard. I've heard plenty of people with English's own controversial opinions!

On top of that, all the responses and feedback he has gotten for and against his columns further demonstrate that Duke is a place dialogue and debate. In fact, many other Chronicle editorials suggest ideas or arguments that may not necessarily be popular.

There were three in the paper I Monday alone. Just because some people believe that you can still argue forcefully and be politically correct at the same time doesn't mean that their ideas aren't constructive. Just because people disagree with English and think his articles show a great deal of ignorance does not mean that they're not willing to engage in a discussion with him (as I'm doing right now).

If English, a Trinity senior, feels that Duke is full of mindless politically-correct liberals, he's obviously been living in a bubble for the last four years.

Share and discuss “Letter: Despite columnist's comment, Duke has debates” on social media.