Letter: Democrats fail to provide alternatives on Iraq issue

As lifelong liberals, we are more than a little saddened to say that Justin Walker's commentary on the spinelessness of Congressional Democrats was, for the most part, dead on.

While a few members of the party (Walker rightly lauds Minnesota's Senator Paul Wellstone) have shown their determination to vote on principle in the face of political danger, the Democratic leadership has all but completely capitulated and left Americans without the choice of whether to support or deny war.

The decision to go to war should not be taken lightly. In fact, the vast majority of America's allies, the world and not to mention a majority of Americans are opposed to unilateral invasion, and many throughout America and the world are against invasion as a whole.

Unfortunately, the president's case for war currently consists of such cogent arguments as "Saddam Hussein is a very bad man." But Senate Democrats do not voice an opposing view and almost seem eager to show their support for an invasion of Iraq. Apparently limiting American voters' choice to two parties was not bad enough; by the time voters go to the polls in November, most will be down to one.

Share and discuss “Letter: Democrats fail to provide alternatives on Iraq issue” on social media.