Letter: Anti-war movement needs to solidify its views

More than a few freshmen turned out for their first display of campus activism today, the rally to oppose war on iraq. The existence of the "movement" is heartening; the student body is aware of international happenings and are willing to voice their opinions in an attempt to effect change and national policy. Whether students are for or against war on Iraq, it is evident that most of us at least have some opinion.

However, the anti-war movement, in order to better facilitate discussion and induce real change, needs to solidify its views. At present, it appears as if no alternative is offered to war. There are, as always, many compelling reasons not to go into battle, some economic, some social, some political and some moral. In this case, however, passivity is not an option.

Iraq presents a very real threat to the Western world, of which we are a part. The United States is the stated enemy of Iraq. The Daniel Pearl decapitation video is the most-downloaded file in the Middle East. This is not propaganda. These are facts. The present situation will not self-resolve. If the United States. or its (dwindling) numbers of allies do not take some kind of action and do something soon, the protesters left alive will find themselves regretting their position over the corpses of millions and the ruins of cities.

And so I issue a challenge to this and any movement to oppose war: come up with something better. I hope for all our sakes that you succeed.

Share and discuss “Letter: Anti-war movement needs to solidify its views” on social media.