CRIME BRIEFS

Suspected thief escapes

An employee reported finding an unidentified man going through her desk in the Duke Clinic Oct. 24 at 12:18 p.m. The man ran off when he saw the employee.

When other employees in the area attempted to stop the suspect, he dropped a bookbag containing a purse stolen from an employee in the Bell Building. The purse was returned to the owner.

In a related report, at 12:06 p.m. Oct. 24, a man matching the description of the suspect tried unsuccessfully to remove a laptop computer from the Bell Building.

Students report harassing phone calls

Residents of Pegram Dormitory reported receiving suspicious phone calls Oct. 21 and Oct. 25. The caller claimed to be a police officer wanting to ask some questions. Duke University Police Department officials suggest that students who receive such calls should report them as soon as possible to police at 684-2444.

Cameras stolen

Someone stole a visitor's unprotected $1,500 Minolta 35mm and Minolta Digital cameras from 5500-D Duke North between 9 and 9:20 p.m. Oct. 26. An employee reported that a $1,050 Nikon Digital Camera and flash attachment were stolen from an unsecured office in the Duke Clinic. The theft occurred sometime between 6:30 p.m. Oct. 17 and 1 p.m. Oct. 21.

Clothes snatched

Someone stole a student's unattended clothes, worth $331, from the laundry room in Blackwell Dormitory between 1 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Oct. 25.

Wallet pilfered

An employee's wallet was stolen between 8:45 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. from her office in the Eye Center. The employee reported that she was in and out of her office during the day and that the office was left unlocked. The wallet and contents were valued at $175.

Cash filched

Someone took $70 from a student's wallet, which was in an unsecured locker at the Brodie Gym on East Campus, between 4 and 5:30 p.m. Oct. 16.

Crime briefs are compiled from Duke University Police Department reports. Anyone with knowledge about those responsible for these or other crimes at the University can contact Lt. Davis Trimmer at 684-4713 or Durham CrimeStoppers at 683-1200.

Share and discuss “CRIME BRIEFS” on social media.