Crime briefs

Student charged with possession

Duke University Police Department officers responded to a marijuana report in room 303 Edens 1-B Oct. 4 at 12:50 a.m. Subsequent investigation resulted in junior Samuel Fleder being charged with possession of marijuana. His court date is Nov. 7. Fleder could not be reached for comment.

Student harasses tenters

A student reported that around 4:30 a.m. Sept. 29, while she was at the graduate and professional student temporary campsite on Wannamaker Drive, a drunken student forcibly entered her recreational vehicle. She reported that he pushed one of her female friends against the wall as he entered. He urinated on a bed and would not leave when asked to do so. Officers arrived, identified the male student and escorted him out of the RV. No one wished to pursue criminal charges.

Bicycles stolen

DUPD officers responded to a call in reference to a larceny of bicycles at the Southgate Dormitory bike rack at 1:01 a.m. Oct. 1. Three men were observed by a student who saw them cutting locks on bicycles. They had left the area on stolen bicycles prior to the arrival of officers. Two cut locks were located.

The three subjects were described as: a black man, of light complexion, slender, wearing a red Dew-Rag, light-colored shirt and baggy dark colored pants; a black man, of light complexion, slender, wearing a black Dew-Rag, dark-colored shirt and baggy dark-colored pants; and a black man, of medium complexion, medium afro haircut, slender, wearing a green shirt and baggy pants.

Police request students to check the bicycle rack for their bicycles and to call 684-2444 if they were victimized.

In addition, someone reported stolen a student's $400 silver Mongoose/Rockadile bicycle between 10:30 a.m. Sept. 30 and 10:50 p.m. Oct. 1. He reported that the bicycle was secured to the rack at Southgate Dormitory with a cable lock. The incident may be related to the incident reported Oct. 1 regarding bicycles being stolen from this area, said Maj. Robert Dean of DUPD.

In a separately reported incident, someone stole a student's $1,500 green and black Jeep mountain bike from the bicycle rack located on the east end of Blackwell Dormitory between 8 p.m. Sept. 23 and 12 p.m. Sept. 29.

Chairs vandalized on East Campus

Duke University Police responded Sept. 28 at 11:56 p.m. to the East Union front patio in reference to two men who had thrown and smashed two $40 wooden chairs. They then walked over to Brown Dormitory, pushed over the barbecue grill and turned over the flower pots. Officers were unable to locate the two subjects.

Missing doorknob reported

Someone reported around 5 a.m. Sept. 29 that knocking from the inside of a women's restroom in Edens 3-A was heard. When the door was opened, a drunk white man, of heavy build, brown hair, wearing khaki pants and sandals came out and departed the area. It was discovered that the doorknob to the restroom was missing shortly after the man left.

Cash, phone nabbed

Two students living in Building M reported that between 5 a.m. and 2 p.m. Sept. 29 someone entered their room and stole $100 cash and a $150 Kyocera cellular phone. The cellular phone's owner reported that messages had been left on his phone's voice mail instructing him to call a certain number about his cellular phone. He did and a subject identified himself as Darrius before terminating the call.

Electronics snatched

Someone gained entry to a student's vehicle and stole the $65 face plate to his CD player and a $135 Cobra radar detector between 2:30 a.m. Sept. 26 and 3:30 a.m. Sept. 29, while his secured vehicle was parked in the Blue Zone. There were no signs of forced entry.

Signs vandalized in Few Quad

When Duke police responded Sept. 29 to Building HH-1 in reference to damaged property, the officer was informed that there had been a party in the dorm the night before and that around 11:30 p.m. a floor went dark. The officer checked the area and found a $150 third floor exit sign pulled down from the ceiling and a basement level exit sign that was not secured into the ceiling.

Police respond to vandalism

Duke University Police officers responded to 114 South Buchanan Blvd. Sept. 30 at 12:22 p.m. in reference to a subject spraypainting portions of the building with "West End" in blue paint and painting over portions of the Liggett Myers sign. Brian Stevons, of 711 Gerad St., was located and charged with damage to real property by writing graffiti on Duke property. His court date is set for Oct. 28. Stevons could not be reached for comment.

Vehicle entered, belongings taken

Someone entered an employee's vehicle while it was parked in the Washington Duke Inn parking lot between 5 and 6 p.m. Aug. 16 and stole $20 cash, a credit card, a $160 personal check, stethoscope and white physician's coat. The employee has since learned that the personal check had been cashed and purchases were made on her credit card.

Tools filched from Kilgo Quad

An employee reported that between 3 p.m. Sept. 30 and 11 a.m. Oct. 3, someone entered the maintenance room in Building P and stole a $50 wheel grinder, a $30 needle nose pliers set with three pliers, $60 Makita cordless screw driver, two $260 Makita drills and $15 channel locks. There were no signs of forced entry into the room, but a locker containing some of the stolen tools had been forced open.

Cell phone taken

A student reported that between 1:30 and 1:45 a.m. Sept. 29 he placed his $199 Verizon cellular phone on a table in the doorway of the Devil's Den. When he returned, his phone had been taken.

Electronics snatched

Someone entered a student's secured office in the Terry Sanford building between 6:30 p.m. Sept. 28 and 3 p.m. Sept. 30 and stole her $200 Walkman tape player, $100 Wen Qu Xing electronic dictionary and a key. There were no signs of forced entry.

Employee reports vehicle break-in

While an employee's vehicle was parked in the H parking lot at Anderson and Erwin Roads between 2:15 and 5:08 p.m. Oct. 1, someone stole her keys, $100 JVC/KDS-580 face plate for a JVC in-dash receiver, $20 Kyocera car charger for a cellular phone and $30 Kyocera ear piece for a cellular phone. She reported she accidentally left her front passenger side window open.

Extinguishers vandalized during fire alarm

A fire alarm occurred Oct. 6 at 2:43 a.m. inside Blackwell Dormitory. There was no sign of a fire, but evidence showed that two fire extinguishers had been vandalized, causing $60 damage, inside the commons room.

Crime briefs are compiled from Duke University Police Department reports. Anyone with knowledge about those responsible for these or other crimes at the University can contact Lt. Davis Trimmer at 684-4713 or Durham CrimeStoppers at 683-1200.

Share and discuss “Crime briefs” on social media.