Campus Council proposes bar in WEL

Campus Council passed a resolution last week recommending potential uses for the unfinished floors of McClendon Tower in the West-Edens Link--most notable among them a bar-type space that students have been asking for since the Hideaway closed two years ago.

Campus Council spent three weeks discussing and drafting the recommendation, which calls for a "Duke sports-themed lounge" on floor five in addition to a screening room on floor two and a game room on floor three. The lounge would serve beer and some mixed drinks along with nonalcoholic beverages and food, although the atmosphere would be different from the Hideaway's. A stage would also be available to student groups who are interested in performing or sponsoring entertainment events.

Andrew Nurkin, president of Campus Council, said the recommendation might not influence the decision--which ultimately belongs to administrators--on how to use these spaces anytime soon. The floors are not yet completed, and campus leaders want to consult the new director of residential life and housing services, Edward Hull, who will not arrive until Nov. 1.

"I don't anticipate this happening this year because the construction and logistics are extensive," said Nurkin, a senior.

Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, declined to comment on the recommendation. "First, I await the arrival of our new [residential life and housing services] director whose input I seek on this project. Second, I feel compelled to get back to Campus Council with my reaction to the proposal before speaking publicly about it," he explained in an e-mail.

At last week's meeting, Assistant Dean of Residential Life and Housing Services Deb LoBiondo said the proposal may create a rivalry with the Duke University Union, which sponsors events in the Armadillo Grill bar. However, Nurkin said Campus Council left its role in regular programming "intentionally vague."

"There is a more collaborative spirit," he said, explaining that Campus Council would be interested in approaching student groups like the Union to help plan the tower's events.

The lounge and game room could resemble the Armadillo Grill and the pool tables in the Bryan Center. However, Nurkin said the locations in McClendon Tower are unique because they were designed to foster student interaction.

Share and discuss “Campus Council proposes bar in WEL” on social media.