Bowles, Dole square off at ECU

Senate hopefuls Erskine Bowles and Elizabeth Dole took their gloves off Saturday night for a combative second debate at East Carolina University's Brody School of Medicine in Greenville, N.C.

Speaking to an audience that included former U.S. Senate majority leader Bob Dole and N.C. Lieutenant Governor Beverly Perdue, the candidates met for what may be their last debate, adopting a decidedly more aggressive tone than last week's encounter at Meredith College. North Carolina's rural economy emerged as a top issue, but the debaters also touched on Social Security, campaign finance reform, education and foreign policy.

The debate began with a 30-minute series of scripted questions from two moderators followed by 30 minutes of questions from pre-selected audience members.

Although the majority of the debate focused on issues specific to North Carolina, the debate opened with the candidates facing off on foreign policy--specifically the role of pre-emptive strikes in light of recent revelations about a North Korea nuclear weapons program. Dole spoke first, saying all options other than military action had been exhausted for Iraq, but "as far as North Korea is concerned, diplomacy is in order at this point."

Bowles said that pre-emptive strikes represent an enormous change in military strategy since Sept. 11. "The U.S. must be prepared to stop any potential attack, [but it is] absolutely necessary that there be clear, convincing evidence that we face real danger."

The debate took on a harsher tone when the candidates were asked to assess their advertising campaigns. Dole stepped out from behind her podium and explained how she had initially proposed that each campaign put aside $2 million for forums devoted to discussing the issues, in lieu of an ad campaign.

Bowles then stepped out from behind his podium, saying, "I think you were being a little disingenuous, Mrs. Dole. I'm willing to have debate after debate after debate."

Dole deflected the criticism, and mockingly responded, "Call me Elizabeth, or 'Liddy,' as you did in your ads."

The discussion also addressed the economic slowdown, which has had painful effects in rural North Carolina. Both candidates agreed on the need for a tobacco buyout at the federal level.

Bowles pointed to his experience serving on the Rural Prosperity Task Force, emphasizing the importance of equity pools for small businesses and developing infrastructure.

"We have got to invest in rural North Carolina if we're going to get businesses to invest here," he said.

Dole made multiple references to the "Dole Plan," which lays out her strategy in regards to the buyout and other issues.

"Less taxes, less regulation--I want to create jobs and that's how you do it," she said. She also stressed the need to curb erosion in textiles, specifically by creating a tracking system to cut down on smuggling.

In addition, Dole said she would work to eliminate wasteful federal spending. "I'm going to be the champion of the line-item veto," she said.

Bowles listed a number of ways he would try to create new jobs-ending corporate corruption, restoring confidence in capital markets, investing in public schools and community colleges and blocking bad trade deals.

On Social Security, Bowles said that while the system is not facing an immediate threat, action has to be taken to ensure its stability. "We need to balance the federal budget; we've done it before and we can do it again."

Dole countered that more immediate action must be taken-she supports allowing people to put a small percentage of their payroll tax into stock portfolios.

Both candidates said they support campaign finance reform, especially immediate disclosure and cutting down on soft money. They also agreed on the importance of education, with Dole stressing the need for local control and accountability and Bowles focusing on increased education funding for early childhood programs and smaller class sizes.

"Dole doesn't talk about her support for vouchers, which takes money out of public schools. We need more resources, not less," Bowles said.

After the debate, the mood was boisterous, with the candidates posing for pictures and supporters chanting.

"There's always more you'd like to say," Dole said, smiling. She said she does not expect there to be another debate due to prior negotiations, but added, "I'll talk any time about the issues."

Bowles said he wished there would be more debates, adding that he would have liked to talk to Dole about her position on abortion. He also responded to the recent poll that shows Dole leading 50-40. "This is no 10-point race," he said, adding he expected undecided voters to come around to his side.

Students from a host of North Carolina colleges, including Duke, turned out to support their candidates. The audience included members of Students for Bowles from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University.

Jeff Raileanu, president of Duke College Republicans, said Dole came out strongly on specific issues. He was not in the audience, but joined other Students for Dole outside the auditorium to hand out campaign literature. In response to criticism that Dole's remarks are scripted, Raileanu said it showed her consistency.

"She's laid out a plan that pretty much clarifies everything she stands for," he said.

Share and discuss “Bowles, Dole square off at ECU” on social media.