Schedule changes see mixed reaction

As University officials prepare to discuss a possible overhaul of the undergraduate academic master schedule, students are reacting favorably to the idea of alleviating midday overcrowding.

Administrators announced last week that a newly formed committee would consider reducing the relative concentration of classes in the middle of the day, saying the University's resources are overtaxed during that period.

Students agreed facilities were too hectic and crowded at midday, but also expressed reservations about sacrificing their scheduling preferences.

"It's impossible to catch a bus to East at 12:40 [p.m.]; it's impossible to grab a quick lunch.... Life's a lot more difficult at those times," said sophomore Peter Jannuzzi.

A number of students cited bus delays as the main issue. "The problem with all the people who have class at the same time is that the bus is a nightmare," sophomore Caroline Haubold said. "I could watch two or three buses roll by without being able to get on."

Food service workers have also felt the crunch due to the heavy student traffic. As hundreds of students are released from their lunchtime classes, a major rush ensues at campus eateries.

"You can tell when class lets out it's pretty much [a large crowd] at every restaurant in the area," said Dennis Lane, manager of The Loop. "[The line's] out the door for about 10 minutes."

Alpine Bagel employee Tenal Alston said the busiest time of the day was between classes.

"Sometimes you're almost whiplashed by everything," she said.

Although students and employees dislike the crowded midday situation, many students said it would be worse if fewer midday classes were offered and they had to choose courses that did not fit their scheduling preferences.

"I will get up at six in the morning, but I will not take an eight o'clock class. I feel it's too early to be in the classroom," said sophomore Lindsey Paluska. "People function best at [midday]; that's why it's so congested at those times."

Senior Jane Cho said she believed the need for sleep would prevent an effective scheduling shift away from the noon class periods.

"I feel like students tend to be more awake during those hours, so it would be good to have students awake during classes," she said.

Others said they preferred midday classes so they could participate in extracurricular and social activities at night and felt that the task force was a positive development if it meant fewer desired courses would overlap.

Some students approved of shifting courses to earlier or later time slots as long as there is still an adequate number of midday courses to choose from.

"I wouldn't mind if they offered more sections earlier in the day, but I'd still want to have [a] choice," Cho said.

Share and discuss “Schedule changes see mixed reaction” on social media.