Research supports Atkins diet theory

An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but it will not keep the weight away, according to the Atkins diet theory.

Adored by celebrities, attempted by college students and now tested by clinical studies at the Medical Center, the low-carbohydrate Atkins diet, is growing--albeit controversially--in popularity. The research, published in The American Journal of Medicine, was the first to test the diet in more than 20 years.

The six-month study consisted of 50 moderately overweight volunteers, with an average body mass index of 31. Over 80 percent of the volunteers completed the diet, on average losing approximately 10 percent of their body weight.

"The successful results of this study will help us continue to demystify the diet," said Dr. Eric Westman, associate professor of general internal medicine at the Medical Center and principal investigator for the study.

Patients were allowed to eat an unlimited amount of bacon, eggs and meat, while their carbohydrate consumption was restricted to 25 grams per day--the equivalent of three sticks of non-sugarless gum. Fruit, rice, pasta and bread were completely eliminated from the patients' diet, but low-carbohydrate vegetables such as asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce were allowed in moderation.

Although a 1980s study of the Atkins diet reported an increase in the dieters' levels of cholesterol, the most recent study, which was funded by the Atkins Foundation, suggests the opposite.

"The cholesterol levels we recorded decreased across the board," said Dr. William Yancy, an associate in the department of general internal medicine and lead author of the study, who added that the percentage of high-density lipoprotein or "good" cholesterol increased.

"We also noticed... a decrease in the level of triglycerides," he said.

In addition, researchers observed that exercising was not necessary for the patients to lose weight. "Whether or not they exercised didn't seem to affect how much weight they lost," Yancy said. Although the doctors recommended that patients exercise three times a week for 30 minutes, only half of them actually did.

Limiting daily calorie consumption was not required to lose weight either. While other diets restrict calories, patients on the Atkins diet can eat as much of anything as they want, aside from carbohydrates.

"On their own, [however], they were able to reduce their caloric intake to 1,400 to 1,500 calories per day," Westman said.

Certain side effects such as dehydration, headaches, constipation and fatigue were particularly prevalent during the first week of the diet. After the initial adjustment, however, the volunteers experienced a reduced appetite and successful adherence to the carbohydrate restrictions.

But before dieters throw away their hidden stashes of candy and swear off fruit completely, they should note that doctors hesitate to support the Atkins diet program fully.

"I would not recommend this diet to the average college student," Yancy said. "Actually, I don't recommend this diet to anyone at this point."

Until larger studies of the Atkins diet can support or refute the results, Westman recommends the standard low-fat, low-cholesterol, reduced-calorie diet.

"We're not promoting [the Atkins diet]. We're studying it," Westman said. "I would say that we don't know enough about it to know if it's safe. While I have a healthy respect for this diet and how it works, it may be too strong for some people."

Share and discuss “Research supports Atkins diet theory” on social media.