Positive rush changes

The Panhellenic Council has decided to institute several changes to the recruitment process. These changes are steps in the right direction. The three major changes are: 1) Increasing the number of recruitment counselors from one to two; 2) Organizing recruitment groups based alphabetically, not by halls; and 3) Changing the way in which space points are allocated to sororities.

Increasing the number of recruitment coordinators will increase the chance rushees will have somebody they can go and talk to for an objective opinion about greek life, so it is obviously a positive change. Changing the organization of recruitment groups is intended to reduce the pressure girls feel during rush. However, since by organizing alphabetically, girls who stand in line together at rush are assigned to the same groups, this could actually lead to greater pressure.

The best change is in how space points are allocated. Instead of forcing sororities to hold poorly-attended and pointless rush previews, points are now assigned based on attendance at a session on "dirty rushing." These sessions will only improve the experience for rushees by helping to prevent underhanded and illegal recruitment tactics that are not in the spirit of rush.

Most of all, the fact that Panhel has looked at the problems with rush and is attempting to solve them is itself encouraging.

Share and discuss “Positive rush changes” on social media.