Nine Democrats to vie for county board spots

A crowded Democratic field marks the highlight of the Sept. 10 primaries in the race for the Durham County Board of Commissioners.

The winners of the county's only primary will face a number of Libertarian candidates in the general election, but no Republican nominees.

The race's major issues include the state budget crisis and regulation of economic growth.

Candidates' responses to the fast pace of growth and development in the county has been more varied. County commissioner Ellen Reckhow supports the current regulations on industrial and residential growth.

"I think our growth controls are quite reasonable, in light of the fact that most of Durham County is in sensitive watershed areas," said Reckhow, who is also seeking reelection. "I think it's essential for us to be sure we are doing everything possible to protect those drinking water supplies."

Libertarian candidate Hal Noyes, however, said he thinks some growth regulations are too stringent. "To me, [urban] sprawl is the American dream," he said. "It's strange that people who have that [dream] don't want other people to get it."

Joe Bowser, yet another incumbent in the race, said he favors a moratorium on growth in areas with insufficient infrastructure.

"We don't have the infrastructure in certain areas and certain areas are overcrowded already that developers are interested in," he said, pointing to southwest Durham as one such area.

Most candidates expressed frustration with county budget problems stemming from the North Carolina budget crunch.

County commissioner Becky Heron said the state government has withheld at least $11 million from Durham County to compensate for its own lack of tax revenues, leaving the county responsible for funding the differenceâ??either by raising revenue or cutting services.

"Finding additional sources of revenue to avoid cutting services is one of my main priorities," said Heron, who is seeking reelection.

Heron said that she opposed property tax increases, but would consider implementing an education impact fee.

The Democratic primary ballot will include four of the five current commissioners. Board chair MaryAnn Black, who was recently named the Duke University Health System's community affairs director and who hopes to focus more on her local psychotherapy practice, decided not to run again after six terms in office.

Other Democrats on the ballot will include: Preston Edwards, a local realtor, Ricky Hart, an employee of Orange County Child Support Enforcement, Warren Herndon, a former executive at Duke University Medical Center, former city council member Mary Jacobs, and Durham School Board member Arnold Spell.

Libertarian candidates include Noyes, Dwight Ennis, Laurin Mancour, Michael Owen, and Stephen Messer.

Since five candidates from each party will proceed to the general election, all five Libertarians are guaranteed a spot on the ballot. The Democratic primary will eliminate four individuals from the race, however. As there are no Republican candidates are running for the position, the winners of the Democratic primary have a high chance of being those elected in November. Many candidates feel the Democratic race will be close--Bowser said any of the candidates could emerge out of the primary a winner. "I think it's going to be very close, and every vote counts," Edwards said.

The Board of Commissioners serves as the legislative body for the whole of Durham County. Its activities include setting tax rates, approving zoning plans, financing construction projects, such as new schools, and overseeing county services. All five seats on the board are at-large positions and members do not represent any particular areas of the county.

Share and discuss “Nine Democrats to vie for county board spots” on social media.